Ford Tourneo Custom EV Teased Ahead of Reveal
Ford’s commercial vehicle arm has been teasing the upcoming Tourneo Custom EV ahead of its formal debut on May 9th, 2022. Ford Pro is eager to expand its lineup of all-electric light commercial vehicles and has already started production of the E-Transit, making the Euro-focused Tourneo the next model queued to be juiced up.
With the company targeting carbon neutrality on the European market by 2035, Ford said the passenger van represented an important milestone in achieving those goals. Though the overarching plan includes launching seven new EVs for the European market by 2024, including the Puma crossover the United States probably should have been issued instead of the EcoSport, and the retooling of numerous factories in preparation of all-electric powertrains.
Ford Pro eventually wants to see the E-Transit and Tourneo Custom EV to be accompanied by electric versions of the Transit Courier, Tourneo Courier, and Transit Custom. The Customs are all expected to launch in 2023, whereas the smaller Courier vans probably won’t hit the streets until 2024.
There are additional plans to launch two electrified crossovers leveraging Volkswagen’s MEB platform in Europe. The first of these is supposed to be a five-seat midsizer with a range of 310 miles that’s entering production at the Ford Cologne Electrification Center in Germany for 2023. The other is alleged to be a sporting crossover, launching in 2024, we probably won’t see debut until sometime next year.
As for the Tourneo Custom, it’s replacing the model that debuted in 2012 (facelifted in 2017) and will likely retain the option to select gasoline, diesel, mild-hybrid, and plug-in hybrid powertrains if all-electric propulsion doesn’t suit a fleet’s needs for an MPV. It’s also presumed to serve as the template for Volkswagen’s next Transporter, thanks to the collaborative development arrangement between Ford and VW.
[Images: Ford Motor Co.]
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- ToolGuy VW (marque not group) and Tesla very nearly switched positions on a YTD basis.
- RHD Inexpensive gasoline appears to be a thing of the past. ILO is correct - we have enough sunlight, wind and emerging ocean wave energy to power the entire country and then some. Clean air is nice, and being free of the whims of OPEC, geopolitics and hugely profitable oil companies will do all of us a world of good.
- Raymond Segura Can you tell me where I can get the rear bumper for 69 impala?
- Art Vandelay some of the crazy numbers I get. Percentages look bigger with any fluctuations with low volume makes and brands leaving the market will see massive month over month changes. But what’s with Buick? I still see the occasional ad on TV and yet the drop is disproportionate even compared to all the other GM brands.
- Master Baiter "There is no mandate for consumers to buy EVs, not in any country or state. That’s made up."Right. And you are not mandated to purchase a toilet that only uses 1.6 gallons/flush. You could choose to not have a toilet--just go in the woods, like the bears do.