2022 Chevrolet Silverado Addresses Previous Critiques, Adds ZR2 Trim
The full-size truck race is competitive, and one can’t afford to fall too far behind.
After a few years of hearing criticisms concerning the Silverado, and how it’s not as stylish as the Ram 1500 or well-done as the Ford F-150, Chevrolet has unveiled an updated truck, with the intent of blunting those critiques and getting back in the game.
Oh, and the brand hasn’t failed to notice the sudden popularity of off-road trims/vehicles, as evidenced by the fact it now offers a ZR2 trim on Silverado, which is a first. It’s now the flagship off-road Silverado.
Personally, your humble author never thought the current Silverado was a bad truck. I felt it was good on its own merits but lacking when compared to its two closest competitors.
Well, regardless, Chevy has given the truck a bunch of updates for 2022. Not only to the ZR2 trim, but to the interior (LT trims and up), the exterior styling, and more. Silverado adds GM’s SuperCruise driver-assistance system, and Chevy’s Safety Assist suite of driver-aid systems is now standard. The 2.7-liter turbo gains torque (it’s at 420 lb-ft now) and the 3.0-liter diesel increases towing capacity up to 13,300 pounds.
While the outside is refreshed (new front fascia, new daytime running lamps, lowered headlamps, turn signals that perform various lighting sequences as drivers approach or leave the truck), the interior is totally redesigned, at least on LT and up trims. A 13.4-inch diagonal touchscreen for infotainment is part of the upgrade.
Other interior changes include a horizontal instrument panel, 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster, new center console. access to select Google apps via the infotainment screen, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay. There’s a new shifter for trucks with bucket seats.
High Country trims get unique details meant to give off a feeling of luxury. SuperCruise will be available on High Country and available with a towing option.
Select the ZR2 trim and you get a 6.2-liter V8 (420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque), 10-speed automatic transmission, Multimatics dampers for the suspension, springs that increase suspension travel, electronic lockers front and rear, drive modes that allow you to select off-road-tuned suspension and chassis calibrations, a Terrain mode that allows for one-pedal driving off-road, 33-inch off-road tires, skid plates, and a steel front bumper that helps allow for a 31.8-inch approach angle. The dual exhaust is moved to reduce the chance of damage when boulder bashing.
ZR2s also get a different grille with integrated lighting, unique badging, a black hood insert, 18-inch wheels, and a specific interior color combination.
Things that remain the same: The Silverado still offers the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V8s. The trim walk for 2022 will include LT, RST, LT Trail Boss, ZR2, LTZ, and High Country.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Jeff S Corey--We know but we still want to give our support to you and let TTAC know that your articles are excellent and better than what the typical articles are.
- Jeff S A sport utility vehicle or SUV is a car classification that combines elements of road-going passenger cars with features from off-road vehicles, such as raised ground clearance and four-wheel drive.There is no commonly agreed-upon definition of an SUV and usage of the term varies between countries. Thus, it is "a loose term that traditionally covers a broad range of vehicles with four-wheel drive." Some definitions claim that an SUV must be built on a light truck chassis; however, broader definitions consider any vehicle with off-road design features to be an SUV. A [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)]crossover SUV[/url] is often defined as an SUV built with a unibody construction (as with passenger cars), however, the designations are increasingly blurred because of the capabilities of the vehicles, the labelling by marketers, and electrification of new models.The predecessors to SUVs date back to military and low-volume models from the late 1930s, and the four-wheel drive station wagons and carryalls that began to be introduced in 1949. The 1984 [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)]Jeep Cherokee (XJ)[/url] is considered to be the first SUV in the modern style. Some SUVs produced today use unibody construction; however, in the past, more SUVs used body-on-frame construction. During the late 1990s and early 2000s, the popularity of SUVs greatly increased, often at the expense of the popularity of large [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(automobile)]sedans[/url] and station wagons.More recently, smaller SUVs, mid-size, and crossovers have become increasingly popular. SUVs are currently the world's largest automotive segment and accounted for 45.9% of the world's passenger car market in 2021. SUVs have been criticized for a variety of environmental and safety-related reasons. They generally have poorer fuel efficiency and require more resources to manufacture than smaller vehicles, contributing more to climate change and environmental degradation. Between 2010 and 2018 SUVs were the second largest contributor to the global increase in carbon emissions worldwide. Their higher center of gravity increases their risk of rollovers. Their larger mass increases their stopping distance, reduces visibility, and increases damage to other road users in collisions. Their higher front-end profile makes them at least twice as likely to kill pedestrians they hit. Additionally, the psychological sense of security they provide influences drivers to drive less cautiously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicleWith the above definition of SUV any vehicle that is not a pickup truck if it is enclosed, doesn't have a trunk, and is jacked up with bigger tires. If the green activists adhere to this definition of what an SUV is there will be millions of vehicles with flat tires which include HRVs, Rav4s, CRVs, Ford Escapes, Buick Encores, and many of compact and subcompact vehicles. The green movement is going to have to recruit millions of new followers and will be busy flattening millions of tires in the US and across the globe. Might be easier to protest.
- Sckid213 I actually do agree that most Nissans are ultimately junk. (I also think many BMWs are also). I was talking challenging the 3 in terms of driving dynamics. Agree all were failures in sales.
- THX1136 More accurately said, we are seeing exponential growth in the manufacturing capabilities in this market. Unless, of course, all those vehicles are sold with customers waiting until more a produced so they can buy. Indeed, there are certainly more EVs being purchased now than back in 2016. Is demand outstripping manufacturing? Maybe or maybe not. I sincerely don't know which is why I ask.
- ToolGuy The page here (linked in the writeup) is ridiculously stupid https://www.tyreextinguishers.com/how-to-spot-an-suvLike, seriously stupid, e.g., A) Not sure that particular Volvo is killing the planet as quickly as some other vehicles we might choose. B) A Juke is "huge"??? C) The last picture shows a RAV4 Hybrid?