Indonesia Receives Mining Proposal From Tesla
Indonesia has reportedly received an investment proposal from Tesla Inc. requesting access to its nickel reserves. Once the largest producer of nickel in the entire world, Indonesia’s government started enacting regulations on the exportation of specific mineral ores in an effort to boost the local smelting industry and set up a more robust supply chain focused on lithium batteries.
This resulted in a huge price surge in 2019, as the nation began running mining opportunities under the noses of various industries that would be interested in the raw materials necessary for battery production.
According to Reuters, Indonesia’s deputy head for investment and mining coordination, Septian Hario Seto, received the news on Friday morning. “I received their proposal yesterday morning … next week we will meet them [virtually] to get an official explanation,” he said.
While a non-disclosure agreement limited what else Septian could say, he did note that previous discussions revolved around battery production and that the country likely wouldn’t be interested if the automaker was singularly interested in ore. As previously stated, the Indonesian government essentially shut down its lucrative nickel exportation business just so it could beef up supply chains and doesn’t want that to be for nothing.
“If they only want to buy raw materials, we are not interested. This [proposal] is beyond just taking the raw material,” Septian explained.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Tassos Chinese owned Vollvo-Geely must have the best PR department of all automakers. A TINY maker with only 0.5-0.8% market share in the US, it is in the news every day.I have lost count how many different models Volvo has, and it is shocking how FEW of each miserable one it sells in the US market.Approximately, it sells as many units (TOTAL) as is the total number of loser models it offers.
- ToolGuy Seems pretty reasonable to me. (Sorry)
- Luke42 When I moved from Virginia to Illinois, the lack of vehicle safety inspections was a big deal to me. I thought it would be a big change.However, nobody drives around in an unsafe car when they have the money to get their car fixed and driving safely.Also, Virginia's inspection regimine only meant that a car was safe to drive one day a year.Having lived with and without automotive safety inspections, my confusion is that they don't really matter that much.What does matter is preventing poverty in your state, and Illinois' generally pro-union political climate does more for automotive safety (by ensuring fair wages for tradespeople) than ticketing poor people for not having enough money to maintain their cars.
- ToolGuy When you are pulled over for speeding, whether you are given a ticket or not should depend on how attractive you are.Source: My sister 😉
- Kcflyer What Toyota needs is a true full size body on frame suv to compete with the Expedition and Suburban and their badge engineered brethren. The new sequoia and LX are too compromised in capacity by their off road capabilities that most buyers will never use.
EV environmental destruction through mining.
It is a wonderful article stating the Indonesia receives mining proposal from tesla, which can be the best option as per your need. I like how you have researched and presented these exact points so clearly. It is a wonderful article stating the Indonesia receives mining proposal from tesla, which can be the best option as per your need. I like how you have researched and presented these exact points so clearly.