QOTD: What's Keeping You Up At Night?
To make amends for the horrific, disturbing imagery no doubt stirred by the lede of my previous QOTD, I’ll state right now that nothing unsavory or perverse was keeping me up these past few nights.
Yet something was.
Bouts of insomnia aren’t uncommon, certainly not in these trying times, so I know I’m not alone in counting Oldsmobiles in a vain attempt to reach the gates of Slumberville these past couple of weeks. And of the many concerns rattling around my brain like a Mossad assassin’s bullet, I can at least say none of them were specifically automotive in nature. Which can’t be said for everyone…
Many of us lie awake at night, wondering if the deal we’ve just signed was a sensible thing to do. Maybe the monthly payment and overall ask was too great for our wallets to reasonably manage, but the temptation at the dealer was just too strong. It was a Limited model, after all, and they said they’d throw in snow tires!
Perhaps that day at the dealer is now long past, and your vehicle’s age — and depreciation — is progressing faster than your efforts to erase the loan balance. You’re upside down, and rolling what remains into a new vehicle will mean less frills when it comes time to pick out your new ride, plus even more negative equity than before.
Just as common, and perhaps more likely, is the fitful rest that comes when a paid-off vehicle you’ve owned just a little too long is making a noise. How expensive will that noise prove to be? Will it worsen overnight, or can you forego a repair until fortune once again smiles on your personal finances? What if the vehicle’s not paid off but the warranty’s more out of date than your great uncle’s car phone?
These are some of the biggies, but the situations and issues arising from vehicle ownership are too numerous and diverse to list. Everyone, if they set their mind to it, has some reason to worry. Not everyone will entertain the dark thoughts lurking around the perimeter of their waking mind. Some will.
What is it about your car that’s keeping you up at night?
[Image: Michael von Aichberger/Shutterstock]
More by Steph Willems
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Lorenzo All the efforts made over decades to reduce/eliminate NVH in ICE cars, and now they're putting noise and vibration into electric cars. It reminds me of efforts to make veggie burgers taste like meat. Vegetarians don't want the taste of meat, and meat eaters will want meat, not veggie burgers.
- Jalop1991 A true golf cart.Sure, it's a penalty box inside. But you're not in it for more than a few minutes at a time during commutes and in between charging stops.Ergo, it's the perfect...golf cart.
- Zipper69 I'm sure it will sell just fine at all trim levels.I'd only note that IMHO the dashboard is a bit of a busy mess.
- MaintenanceCosts Why do you have to accept two fewer cylinders in your gas engine to get an electric motor? (This question also applies to the CX-90.)
- Zipper69 Do they have unique technology that might interest another manufacturer?