By on April 23, 2020

If you were hoping to browse the mouth-watering classics at this year’s Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, don’t break out the collared shirts just yet. The event has been cancelled for the same reason everything else you wanted to do is now impossible. Pebble Beach officials have decided to nix the show, originally scheduled for August 16th, rather than risk the health of entrants, judges, and volunteers.

“My heart goes out to all of the people who are involved in the Pebble Beach Concours and who are impacted by this decision,” said Concours Chairman Sandra Button for the announcement. “Many of our entrants have been working on a special car for years, and this was to be their moment. Some of our overseas entrants were nearing the point of putting their cars on boats and planes, and their own travel arrangements have long been made. The same is true for many of our international cadre of judges.”

Button continued. “We thank all of the enthusiasts who have gathered at Pebble Beach time and again to renew long-standing friendships, celebrate great cars and give so generously to Concours charities — and who have already expressed their support for the coming celebration no matter the date.”

With the event scheduled for August, it seemed as though Concours d’Elegance wasn’t in any real danger. Organizers actually informed applicants of their acceptance earlier this month, noting that entrants should plan to ready their vehicles even if there was a delay. Something must have changed to necessitate a full-blown closure.

Perhaps organizers just wanted to keep things simple. Rather than trying to find a way to pull the show off a month or two later than planned, everything is being transitioned to next year’s event. Features will remain as planned, with a display of previous Best of Show winners along the edge of Stillwater Cove and new special classes focusing on Pininfarina, the world’s oldest electric vehicles, Porsche 917, Talbot-Lago Grand Sport, and the Carrera Panamericana. They’ll just be happening on August 15th, 2021.

All tickets purchased to date for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will also be valid for next year. However, those seeking a refund may contact [email protected]

“Pebble Beach Company has been pleased to host this event since its beginning, and we look forward to hosting the 70th celebration in 2021,” said Company CEO William L. Perocchi. “This event does more than celebrate great cars; it benefits so many people in need. Ultimately, the continued health and safety of everyone associated with the Concours is our number one priority, which led us to this difficult decision. We recognize that cancelling the 2020 Event will be disappointing to many, although we are confident it is appropriate under these unique circumstances.”

[Image: Joseph Sohm/Shutterstock]

Get the latest TTAC e-Newsletter!

Recommended

17 Comments on “Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Canceled...”


  • avatar
    ravenuer

    Perhaps we should just delete 2020 from the calendar. It never happened.

  • avatar
    Lou_BC

    Pebble Beach Concours cancelled because all of the uber reich are self isolating on their yachts somewhere on the Aegean Sea.

    • 0 avatar
      Lorenzo

      Well, a lot of them are getting up there in age. They’re the most vulnerable group, and the oldest among them possibly started to drop out, causing the organizers to just cancel rather than see a significant reduction in participation. That’s more of a threat for the organizers than the virus is for the elderly. Fewer participants may mean fewer bidders at the auction, and lower prices, endangering the market.

  • avatar

    Those are some killer Kim Jong shades.

  • avatar
    randyinrocklin

    I know they have the Le Mon De Elegance, they should be up and running eh….I think citrus is supposed to help with the virus together with some sunshine once the fog burns off.

  • avatar
    redapple

    Maybe I should assume EVERYTHING is cancelled. Then be surprised when I find something open.

    This China Plague is real bad.

  • avatar
    65corvair

    If things aren’t back to normal by August, the 1930’s will be the good old days.

  • avatar
    Arthur Dailey

    Don’t think so. The Great Depression had a number of causes, including the lack of regulatory controls during the 20’s. Any period of economic deregulation has always resulted in a short boom, followed by a large recession/depression.

    During the Great Depression, most governments took a hands off approach until the election of the greatest American president FDR. Roosevelt adopted Keynesian strategy which helped to create a social safety net, and enough government infrastructure projects to put a significant number back to work.

    The current economic situation is artificial. Once things re-open those who are working will have a pent up demand to spend their money. That should provide employment for many who have lost their jobs.

    Unfortunately a great many small business may close permanently. However people will still need haircuts, hair styling, dog grooming and similar services so most will be replaced by new stores.

    Hopefully at least some manufacturing will also return to North America. The reliance on the Chinese supply chain has proven to be both fragile and prone to political intrigue. For example 2 planes chartered by Canadian governments recently returned from China without any of their purchased cargo of PPEs. Intrigue on the part of Chinese officials forced these planes to return before being loaded.

    Not to say that there will not be suffering. There will, unfortunately. But not to the extent of the Great Depression, when there was no social safety net. Perhaps we will learn from this and replace the myriad of existing social programs such as employment insurance, welfare, food stamps, etc with one universal, cheap to administer Guaranteed Annual Income program. Similar to the CERT now in place in Canada. If your income falls below a certain level, you apply, receive a figure guaranteed to provide you with a certain level of income and each tax year it is reconciled.

    • 0 avatar
      backtees

      Dear Lord. While I appreciate your educated comments this is an auto site to discuss wheels. And yes, general economic conditions impact cars sales and discussions. But to offer a wholesale remedy rooted on political policies belongs somewhere else.

      The fact I logged in to reply as my blood boiled over your stump speech defeated the purpose of killing some time on an auto site.

      Lincoln or Washington may give your Supreme Court packing, still paying for the New Deal, rich (so must be evil) FDR a run for his money as far as rankings go. Enjoy Canada.

      • 0 avatar
        Arthur Dailey

        Thanks. Washington was the first Head of State in modern history to turn over power peacefully. Kudos for that.

        Lincoln followed 3 of the worst presidents in US history. He issued the Emancipation Proclamation. But he was so hated by some that they left the Union and eventually he was murdered. As for American history, a case may be made that the Union states would have been better off letting the Confederacy secede.

        And the previous posting was in regards to an event that attracts the 1% of the 1%. So between that and the economies impact on auto manufacturing and auto sales, political and economic postings are relevant.

        FDR guided the US out of the Depression, guided it through WWII, and enacted policies and programs that ensured its prosperity for decades after his death.

        • 0 avatar
          backtees

          No further questions your Honor. We rest our case.

        • 0 avatar
          ToolGuy

          The most-visited U.S. National Park is the Great Smoky Mountains. It has some great roads. (Tip: Much more enjoyable if you hang back from other people’s bumpers. Bonus tip: Learn to downshift when going down a grade, people – regardless of transmission type.)

          At Newfound Gap there is a parking area, an impressive overlook, and the Rockefeller Memorial, where FDR himself dedicated the park on September 2, 1940. It was one of my favorite places as a kid.

          Why the “Rockefeller Memorial”? Rockefeller money (Standard Oil trust; 90% of the oil in the U.S. at one point) was used to match government and some private donations to kick the little people off their property. (Unlike other National Parks, this area was settled when the park was established.)

          The last picture here on the National Park Service website shows the Civilian Conservation Corps working on the Roosevelt Memorial. This is kind of a lie – while the CCC did some site prep, the beautiful hand-laid stonework throughout the park was done by European artisans.

          https://tinyurl.com/y7vkxdmw

  • avatar
    JohnH

    And Laguna Seca thinks they are putting on the reunion with distancing procedures, They just sent out a newsletter. Just can’t see any of car week happening.

Read all comments

Back to TopLeave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Recent Comments

  • Imagefont: You are so not buying a Cyber Truck.
  • Inside Looking Out: I don’t know but when I was there 2.0L was considered pretty large. In some places 1.6 was...
  • Dan: One, the world has gone to hell and this isn’t the time to ask people to give up their illusions of...
  • Inside Looking Out: Free healthcare and college, what do you want? Nothing is free.
  • Inside Looking Out: No car for you deplorables California rules.

New Car Research

Get a Free Dealer Quote

Who We Are

  • Matthew Guy
  • Timothy Cain
  • Adam Tonge
  • Bozi Tatarevic
  • Chris Tonn
  • Corey Lewis
  • Mark Baruth
  • Ronnie Schreiber