QOTD: Is This the Most Obnoxious Thing Another Driver Can Do?
There’s a long list of things other drivers do that piss us off. It’s longer than long. If written on parchment, the scroll would unroll past the horizon, then drop of the edge of the earth, plummeting through the weightless vacuum of space for all eternity.
Yesterday, or perhaps the day before (who keep track of days? It’s 2018), I was reminded of a challenger for the “Biggest Dick Move” podium. It’s one you’re probably all too well aware of.
You’re waiting at a light, the light goes green, and suddenly…
…as your left foot moves upward towards the engagement point…
…and as your right foot lifts off the brake…
An immediate honk from the Tiguan or RAV4 or Crosstrek or whatever ubiquitous crossover sitting directly behind you.
The thing is, I wasn’t off in la-la land, thinking about Meghan Markle, trees, fruit pies, or the inescapable certainty of death. I was in just as much of a rush, my eyes locked on that traffic signal, waiting for the light to change. This means, of course, that the driver behind me had his or her hand poised over the horn, eyes also locked on the signal, ready and waiting to honk no matter how quickly I reacted. Green means honk.
It’s such an obnoxious move, but it seems to be growing in popularity. While I consider myself to be very conscientious of other drivers’ time (as well as my own), I’m also willing to give the driver ahead of me a few lengthy seconds to notice the light change before pounding the center of that circular object in front of me. This isn’t New York City; honking is uncouth around these parts. It might even indicate the presence of mental illness.
Obviously, this ranks among the lesser annoyances you’ll face on the road. No one’s going to die a fiery death because of an impatient honk, though I suppose heart attacks can’t be ruled out. It’s just so infuriating, like responding to a fleshed-out argument riddled with statistics with “Cool story, bro.”
What say you? Are instances of “instant honk” on the rise, and does it deserve a spot atop the podium of assholery?
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Statikboy Those tires are the Wrong Size.
- Mustangfast I had an 06 V6 and loved that car. 230k trouble free miles until I sold it. I remember they were criticized for being too small vs competitors but as a single guy it was the right size for me. I recall the 2.3 didn’t have a reputation for reliability, unlike the V6 and I4. I think it likely didn’t take off due to the manual-only spec, price tag, and power vs the V6 engine and the way it delivered that power. It was always fun to see the difference between these and normal ones, since these were made in Japan whereas all others were flat rock
- VoGhost Earth is healing.
- ToolGuy "Having our 4th baby and decided a camper van is a better use of our resources than my tuner."Seller is in the midst of some interesting life choices.Bonus: Here are the individuals responsible for doing the work on this vehicle.
- MaintenanceCosts Previous owner playing engineer by randomly substituting a bunch of components, then finding out. No thanks.