Q8 Teaser Shows Audi Sticking With New Taillight Design; SUV Gets Its Own TV Show
Audi released a new concept sketch of the Q8, but the Hot Wheels aesthetic doesn’t give us much to go on. We doubt the production model will come adorned with 30-inch wheels and balloon out toward the bottom, as illustrated. However, the drawing does appear to indicate an adherence to a taillight design not all that different from what we’re seeing on the A8.
Extending across the entirety of the vehicle’s rear, Tim Cain compared the sedan’s brake light styling to the now dead Dodge Dart. While the colorful Q8 draft indicates something a bit more angular, the basic shape remains intact and makes us wonder if this aesthetic will eventually spill into the rest of Audi’s stable.
That theory will take some time to pan out, but discovering the final decision on the SUV’s taillights won’t. Despite the official reveal still being a few weeks away, Audi has announced an original, adult-themed five-part video series — called Q8 Unleashed — starring the vehicle. The first episode is scheduled to drop May 21st.
The concept is derivative of the BMW film series The Hire, which initially came out in 2001 to showcase Clive Owen manhandling the brand’s fleet. The series returned for a brief run in 2016, which makes us wonder if a marketing manager at Audi was a fan.
Audi’s plot seems a little more involved than “a driver gets hired by various people to drive BMWs in extreme ways.” Unleashed revolves around an affluent couple, living in California, who get into serious trouble and just happen to own a Q8.
Here’s the plot synopsis form the automaker’s press release:
“Sandra and Quentin, an extravagant power couple from the Golden State, had it all. Successful careers, a design loft, an influential circle of friends and the perfect car to match it all.
But in a split second everything is about to change. Unleash five gripping episodes and be rewarded with a first glance at the most thrilling Audi SUV of all times.”
With so much sex and gunplay in the trailer, we can’t help but wonder if the couple has children. If not, Audi will have to find another way to showcase the SUV’s interior volume and practicality. Presuming they’ve haven’t been breeding, we’ll gladly offer up plot points and dialog for the next season about how impressed Sandra is that Quentin could fit so many corpses and kilos of heroin in the back of their brand new Q8.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- GrumpyOldMan "A manual transmission is offered, as is a single-clutch auto. "What is a single clutch auto?
- ToolGuy It is raining super-hard outside right now.
- Analoggrotto It's getting awful hard to tell these Mercedes apart from one another.
- Analoggrotto Ah the Fisher Price car for the uncoolest of uncool dad-bods.
- FreedMike If it were a GLI, it’d be a decent project car. But at the end of the day you have a base Jetta, and those weren’t all that great. Speaking of project VWs - when I was living at my old house a few years ago, one of my neighbors had an OG 1983 GTI sitting on his lawn. Lord, did I want to take that car home.