General Motors CEO Mary Barra Chosen for Trump Advisory Panel
President-elect Donald Trump has named General Motors CEO Mary Barra to his advisory board on economic issues and jobs growth.
While this could also be a coincidental slight against Mark Fields for publicly criticizing the new president’s repeated verbal attacks against Ford, this isn’t the first time Barra has been considered for unexpected political involvement this year. Hillary Clinton had shortlisted her as a possible running mate for the 2016 election.
On Friday, team Trump made the official announcement that Barra would be included on a Strategic and Policy Forum that encompassed “some of America’s most highly respected and successful business leaders.” The forum is intended to provide Trump with direct advisement on economic issues in a “frank, non-bureaucratic and non-partisan manner.”
“We look forward to working with President-elect Trump, his team and other corporate and civic leaders on policies that support a strong and competitive economy and automotive industry,” Barra said in a statement provided to The Detroit News.
Last week, the transition team said “members of the Forum will be charged with providing their individual views to the president — informed by their unique vantage points in the private sector — on how government policy impacts economic growth, job creation and productivity.”
“This forum brings together CEOs and business leaders who know what it takes to create jobs and drive economic growth,” Trump said in a statement. “My administration is committed to drawing on private sector expertise and cutting the government red tape that is holding back our businesses from hiring, innovating and expanding right here in America.”
The forum is to be chaired by Stephen A. Schwarzman, chairman, CEO and co-founder of Blackstone, and includes numerous top-level executives from some of the United States’ largest corporations.
[Image: General Motors]
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX Faraday Future shouldn't even be here, and they won't make it. Other ultra-expensive EVs are fun projects for companies who can fund them from other revenue.The Lucid Air is a strange one because it starts at $87k but can run to over $250k. Most cars jump only around 50% for top trims, not 300%.As for EVs - don't give me more power (easy); give me more range (hard). And quicker filling time.
- Dukeisduke It's funny how stuff like this crosses over between sites nowadays - there's an article about it today on MacRumors: Polestar 2 Software Update Brings Wave of New Apple CarPlay Features - MacRumors
- Fahrvergnugen "If you’re itching for an ultra-exclusive EV – and who isn’t – "Me...
- Dukeisduke Tim, once all this foam is everywhere, how do you get rid of it? Does it take a while to break down? I think of the scene in the 1963 James Garner / Doris Day film "The Thrill Of It All", where boxes of soap end up in the swimming pool, creating mountains of foam. The Thrill of It All (1963) - IMDb
- MrIcky I have a foam cannon, it makes washing the car much faster which helps me do it more often. Foam cannon>pressure wash>suds bucket and mitt for tough spots but touch as little as possible>pressure wash those spots>spray on some detailer solution as I dry to keep the water beading up. 15 minutes-ish?
Lately anytime I hear "Trump picks..", I get worried but she is actually a good choice IMO. Barra seems like she has done right by GM so far and made headway into changing the culture a bit from what i can tell. There could be far worse choices here, we need all the sanity and sense we can get these days. Good for her!
And here we go again..... Yet another dimbulb-in-chief and his hope-and-changefulls set to wonder in a few years why, despite all the "great advice" Il Dunce received from his forum of CEOs about "helping the economiii", middle class salaries continue to stagnate, while the salaries on the guys and gals in the forum continues to climb. I'm sure this latest clown, will be just as surprised as his predecessors.....