Instant Al Fresco: Hyundai Recalls Sonata That Could Blow Its Top
The only thing missing is an ejection seat.
Panoramic sunroofs are a great way to add upmarket flair to a solidly mid-range vehicle, bringing occupants closer to the outside world and making joyriding antics a breeze. However, drivers would normally prefer some say over when those large glass panels open. They’d also like to keep them attached to the car.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Hyundai has recalled certain 2015 and 2016 Sonata models equipped with a panoramic sunroof. The issue is simple: that glass panel might not stay in union with the vehicle.
Due to a bonding issue, the large forward glass panel could detach while the car is in motion, leading to a dangerous situation. We’ve all seen that scene from The Omen.
Hyundai produced the models from May 28, 2014 through March 18, 2016, with 62,811 vehicles listed as “potentially affected.” The automaker describes how the Sonata could flip its lid:
The sunroof assembly incorporates a wind deflector at the front of the sunroof to reduce wind noise in the passenger compartment when the sunroof is open. Certain vehicles may have insufficient bonding of the wind deflector anchor plate. If the wind deflector becomes partially detached from its mounting points after the sunroof is opened, it can interfere with the moveable sunroof panel while the sunroof is being closed. The tempered glass sunroof panel can detach from the sunroof assembly due to interference with the wind deflector, or if the customer tries to force the sunroof panel closed
Warning signs include increased wind noise due to a loose wind deflector and difficulty in closing the sunroof. Luckily, no injuries or accidents have been associated with the issue, despite numerous field reports of detached suunroofs.
The automaker plans to remedy the situation by rebonding the wind deflector anchor plate.
[Image: Hyundai Motor America]
More by Steph Willems
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Buickman Stop the Invasion. Boycott Envision.I am the top Buick salesman in history, bar none.have never sold this Commie Car and will not until they are built stateside.BuickmanFounderGeneralWatch.com
- SCE to AUX Nice car for a nice price. I'd replace the headlights.
- Fred Of course they will retaliate. Expect things to worse before they get better.
- GBJT I think there are still non-turbo cars.
- Slavuta US has created a game called "Free trade" and bashed any country that in US's view somehow interfered with that. Now that countries learned how to beat US at its own game, US does what? - right. smashes the board,