U.S. North to South 2015 Itinerary
The U.S. North to South 2015 series articles are published with a little bit of delay, necessary to process observations, write, retouch pictures and publish. Therefore I thought I’d let you know where I am currently and my planned itinerary for the next week.
If you live nearby and want to holler, please let me know in the comments! Also, if you have any advice on “must do” things and, more importantly, “must drive” roads along the planned itinerary, I have kept it relatively flexible to allow for this, so please let me know.
Currently I am in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. Over the next few days I am planning to travel to:
– Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming.
– Jackson, Wyoming.
– Salt Lake City, Utah (via the 189, 26, 89, 34, 30 and then joining the I-15 South).
– Almost Las Vegas, Nevada then possibly Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona.
– Back northwest via Coyote Springs and 93 to Rachel, Nevada, to see some aliens at Area 51.
– North on the 93 to Route 50, “The Loneliest Road in America”, all the way to Carson City, Nevada.
Highway 50 is pretty cool. Based on the map, however, you're going to miss the payoff of driving across Nevada (Lake Tahoe and California, at least until Sacramento).
You might want to swing through Colorado where weed has recently been legalized.
You really should take US 89 through southern Utah, which is one of the US' most scenic drives. Stop in Zion, spend the night Springdale UT, then rejoin US 89 to get to Grand Canyon. Once you've reached Seligman AZ, take AZ 66 (the old Route 66) and leave an hour for Oatman along the way. This is one of the better sections of 66 that still remains.
Nice job, skirting the borders of California but never entering to sample its famous $4+/gallon gas.