NAIAS 2014: Mercedes GLA45 AMG Misses SEMA, Debuts In Detroit
Tacky graphics, redline wheels, [s]hotglued[/s] industrial adhesive attached spoiler and painted red calipers. I know this is an AMG, but can we tone down the try-hard looks? There’s a reason successful young Mercedes-Benz buyers don’t shop at Autozone for “accent pieces”, and it is not because they want the junk factory-installed.
In production form, it’s a neat and tidy take on the small cross-over segment. It rides on the same platform as the CLA45 AMG, and shares the drivetrain. What it packs is a 2L turbo four with 355 horse power and a stout 332 ft lb of torque at around 2,000 RPM (thanks to a twin-scroll, variable vane turbo). Through a 7 speed dual clutch transmission, this translates into 4.8 second 0-to-60 times. The rest of the car is standard AMG affair with larger cross-drilled brakes, your choice of 19-inch or 20-inch wheels with 235mm wide tires, and unique suspension tuning. You can look at the CLA45 AMG to see how well this equipment all works out.
That said, it will still probably sell to house wives who wanted the top-trim GLA hatch.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Chuck Norton And guys are having wide spread issues with the 10 speed transmission with the HP numbers out of the factory......
- Zerofoo "Hyundais just got better and better during the 1990s, though, and memories of those shoddy Excels faded."Never. A friend had an early 90s Hyundai Excel as his college beater. One day he decided that the last tank of gas he bought was worth more than the car. He drove it to empty and then he and his fraternity brothers pushed it into the woods and left it there.
- Kwik_Shift There are no new Renegades for sale within my geographic circle of up to 85 kms. Looks like the artificial shortage game. They bring one in, 10 buyers line up for it, $10,000 over MSRP. Yeah. Like with a lot of new cars.
- Ribbedroof In Oklahoma, no less!
- Ribbedroof Have one in the shop for minor front collision repairs right now,I've seen more of these in the comments than in the 30 years I've been in collision repair.
Another 4-door 4 cylinder turbo crossover with Mazinger 7 styling, why would I buy this over a cheaper HondaYota model?
There must be like zero room in the hatch/trunk area. If you're going to make a crossover version of something, at least give it the room to carry some stuff.