Tesla Awards Panasonic 4-Year $7 Billion Battery Cell Contract Anticipating 500% Increase in Production
Tesla Motors has used exclusively Panasonic lithium ion battery cells since it started selling electric cars. 2010 photo.
Panasonic Corp., which already is the largest supplier of lithium ion batteries for the electric car industry, has announced that it has signed a new contract with Tesla to supply battery cells for the Model S and upcoming Model X electric vehicles. The Japanese company will supply 2 billion 18650 form factor lithium-ion cells worth up to $7 billion over the next four years. Panasonic has been Tesla’s exclusive supplier of battery cells since it started selling its first EV, the Tesla Roadster.
Since Tesla has used 200 million cells over the past two years, the contract indicates a significant ramp up of production is planned, a five-fold annual increase. Tesla has said that it expects to deliver about 21,000 Model S cars this year and that the Model X crossover will go on sale at the end of 2014.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- ToolGuy a) Coolb) My rocker panels are looking hopelessly outdated
- Art Vandelay Tassos and EBFlex can watch videos of peter puffing while puffing each other's peters in this bad boy!
- Art Vandelay When it is in electric mode it is so quiet that you can almost hear EBFlex and Tassos puffing each other's peters.
- Art Vandelay They have to price them this high to keep EBFlex or Tassos from getting one and sullying the company's good name by puffing each other's peters in it
- Art Vandelay EBFlex and Tassos can stream videos on YouTube now of them puffing each other's peters. They'll have to use a Mercedes for TikTok though
2,000,000,000 batteries is about 300,000 Tesla Model S/X thats an interesting ramp from circa 25,000 per year for 2013
Good for Panasonic! Good for Tesla! I am continually-amazed by the capabilities of those Panasonic lithium-Ion batteries. My Dewalt battery-powered drills have them, and they have opened up an entire world of home remodeling and hand man activity that was simply absent from my experience.