Best Selling Cars Around The Globe: Wuling Hongguang (aka Chevrolet Enjoy) Third Best-Seller Worldwide In February!
Last time I opened my mouth, we travelled to Norway, the new land of the Nissan Leaf, and before that we religiously went through our monthly worldwide Roundup, spending time praising the ever-impressive performance of the Nissan Qashqai. Now it’s time to look at the 200 best-selling models worldwide. And there is a big (Chinese) surprise on the podium…
Keep in mind this ranking is based on official February sales in 60 countries and is therefore not 100% accurate. I know it’s a little old but it takes time to compile this kind of data you see, and this is the most sophisticated data you will find online (for free) though, so enjoy!
February worldwide data is always full of surprises as it is traditionally a weak month in Europe but a strong one in the US, China, India and Japan. So the models ranking tends to evolve accordingly.
Strong Thailand sales push the Toyota Corolla ahead of the Ford Focus like in 2012 both this month with 78,631 sales vs. 75,723 for the Focus and year-to-date at 164,463 units vs. 161,998. Still extremely close though. Note the Corolla figure excludes Corolla hatch/Auris sales but includes the 11th generation of the model on sale in Japan.
The massive event is in third place this month: even though it is only sold in China (for now – it was just launched in India as the Chevrolet Enjoy), the Wuling Hongguang manages to land in third position worldwide thanks to a record 64,096 sales. That’s 500 more than 3 generations of Hyundai Elantra managed to sell all over the world – this should not take away from the excellent score of the Korean model though but just gives a bit of perspective, as well as the fact that it is more than the number of Ford F-Series sold over the same period of time in North America (62,937)…
A few other models shine this month in the world ranking: the Suzuki Swift/DZire is up 9 spots to brilliantly break into the worldwide Top 10 at #10 with a huge 48,557 sales (78% of which achieved in India alone under the Maruti Suzuki brand), the Chevrolet Silverado is up 12 to the Renault Clio/Symbol up 10 to
…Ford Fusion/Mondeo also up 10 to Ford Escape/Kuga up 13 to Toyota Prius C up 12 to #40 and passing the Toyota Prius again ( the Renault Duster up 3 to #42 and the Toyota RAV4 up 7 to
Previous month: World January 2013: Focus ahead of Corolla, VW Lavida #14
Matt Gasnier, based in Sydney, Australia, runs a blog named Best Selling Cars Blog, dedicated to counting cars all over the world.
More by Matt Gasnier
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Marty S Corey, thanks for your comment. Mercedes has many different models, and will survive. Jaguar is planning on only offering electric models and will be in trouble. They should continue their ICE models as long as possible, but have discontinued the F-Type already and will probably be discontinuing everything else. We purchased the current XF this year, which is a nice car, but would have been splendid if they had just continued the supercharged V-6 in it.By the way, I have really enjoyed your Continental and Eldorado series. Was just showing it to my barber, who owned several 1954-56 Eldorado convertibles.
- Marques My father had one of these. A black 1984 Pulsar NX with a 5-speed stick and a grey interior. Dad always kept it in pristine shape-that black paint was shiny even in the middle of the night. I swear I could still smell the Rain Dance carnauba wax! The only issue that car ever had was that it was never driven enough-it would sit for 10 days at a time! The Hitachi carburetor on it(and other Nissans of the time) were known to be troublesome. It went to the boneyard at 72K miles when a hole got punched in the block. By that time the Pulsar had long ceased production.
- VoGhost This is the only new vehicle I have the slightest interest in.
- VoGhost I love it. Can't wait to get one. Finally, trucks are becoming actually capable, and it's great for America.
- Peter Just waiting for Dr. Who to show up with his Tardis, and send these things back to the hellish dark dimension from which they came.