Marchionne Kills Lancia
November 2nd, 2012 11:14 AM Share
Sergio Marchionne announced a drastic reorganization of Fiat. In a teleconference today, Marchionne announced the end of Lancia among a wide-ranging change of the company’s brand and model strategy.
According to a report in Automobilwoche.de [sub], the changes are:
- Lancia will be terminated.
- Alfa Romeo and Maserati will target the premium segment.
- Fiat will focus on the Fiat 500 and the Panda. In a strategy similar to BMW’s Mini, a number of derivatives will be built. Fiat turns into a small car brand.
- Jeep will broaden its product portfolio and its global reach.
For this and next year, Fiat-Chrysler expects an operative loss of $900 million. Marchionne does not expect a profit before 2015 or 2016, Automobilwoche says.
A Chrysler spokesman told Germany’s Focus Magazin that „the Lancia brand will live on.” Whether Fiat will invest a lot of money into the brand is questionable, the spokesman said. Lancia had been kept on life support with rebadged Chrysler models. The last real new Lancia was the new generation of the Ypsilon compact.
Published November 2nd, 2012 11:07 AM
Join the conversation
2 of 71 comments
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Ravenuer The Long Island Expressway.
- Kwik_Shift A nice stretch of fairly remote road that would be great for test driving a car's potential, rally style, is Flinton Road off of Highway 41 in Ontario. Twists/turns/dips/rises. Just hope a deer doesn't jump out at you. Also Highway 60 through Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. Great scenery with lots of hills.
- Saeed Hello, I need a series of other accessories from Lincoln. Do you have front window, front and rear lights, etc. from the 1972 and 1976 models
- Probert Wow - so many digital renders - Ford, Stellantis. - whose next!!! They're really bringing it on....
- Zerocred So many great drives:Dalton Hwy from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle.Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham WA to Skagway AK. it was a multi-day ferry ride so I didn’t actually drive it, but I did take my truck.Icefields Parkway from Jasper AB to Lake Louise AB, CA.I-70 and Hwy 50 from Denver to Sacramento.Hwy 395 on the east side of the Sierras.
I remember having a good laugh at the UK Top Gear program devoted to Lancia, a marque which the presenters all loved. This was hard to understand as the various models featured all fell apart or blew up in the usual Top Gear way, as I recall. But I will never forget seeing an Alitalia Stratos HF rally car in the streets of Geneva, Switzerland in 1974, shaking windows as it rolled by.
They should pop out a few Stratos HF street legal models before they go away for good. In that sweet orange color too.