Ask the Best and Brightest: What Will Chevy's Two "Surprises" for 2013 Be?
Chevrolet is betting that the number 13 will be lucky one. The GM brand announced on Wednesday that they will be introducing 13 redesigned or completely new vehicles for the North American market in 2013. While a number of those are expected, like the new Impala and the latest iteration of the Silverado fullsize body-on-frame pickup, according to GM spokesman Michael Albano the automaker is “thrilled” that two of the thirteen cars and trucks will be “complete surprises”. Joining the Impala and Silverado, among the non-surprises there’s going be a new Traverse CUV, a diesel Cruze and an electric Spark (sorry, I didn’t name the car).
“13 is a big year for Chevrolet. You know some of them. There’s a lot of chatter about others and a couple will be complete surprises, which we’re thrilled about.”
The 7th generation Corvette is generally assumed to be going to have a 2013 reveal, most likely at the NAIAS in just a few months. The Chevrolet SS, the civilian version of Chevy’s latest 9C1 offering and the brand Chevy will be promoting in NASCAR’s marquee Sprint Cup series, has also been announced for 2014 and we’ll probably see the production version introduced sometime next year as well. There’s been plenty of chatter about both and neither is anywhere near a complete surprise so my question to the B&B is, what two “surprise” vehicles will Chevrolet introduce to the US market in 2013? My effort at a WAG is that one of them will be a coupe that reprises a name from Chevy’s heritage, perhaps a Chevelle or maybe a Monte Carlo, and the other will be a Cruze wagon, currently only available in Euro spec, that they’ll call the Nomad.
Ronnie Schreiber edits Cars In Depth, a realistic perspective on cars & car culture and the original 3D car site. If you found this post worthwhile, you can dig deeper at Cars In Depth. If the 3D thing freaks you out, don’t worry, all the photo and video players in use at the site have mono options. Thanks for reading – RJS
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Inside Looking Out This is actually the answer to the question I asked not that long ago.
- Inside Looking Out Regarding "narrow windows" - the trend is that windows will eventually be replaced by big OLED screens displaying some exotic place or may even other planet.
- Robert I have had 4th gen 1996 model for many years and enjoy driving as much now as when I first purchased it - has 190 hp variant with just the right amount of power for most all driving situations!
- ToolGuy Meanwhile in Germany...
- Donald More stuff to break god I love having a nanny in my truck... find a good tuner and you can remove most of the stupid stuff they add like this and auto park when the doors open stupid stuff like that
Chevelle, as in two door Impala? Not 'correct' in the old school model lineup, but...
"13"??? Why don't they also change the release date to coincide with the end of the Mayan calendar? And make sure there are plenty of black cats roaming around, open umbrellas scattered about and step ladders to walk under...