Just In Case You Haven't Seen It… "I'm From The Streets"
As anybody who has ever listened to an automotive “journalist” knows, automotive journalists are some of the toughest people in the business. We urinate vinegar and chew nails. When the brakes in our Boss 302 fail at the rip-roaring speed of 70mph, we don’t even bother to use that pansy-ass E-brake before promptly lunching the transmission in an effort to slow down “through the gears”. We’re that tough.
But what happens when the irresistible force meets the immovable object? When Godzilla meets Mecha-Godzilla? When two autojournos meet in mortal press-room combat?
As some of you know, I work with the guys from Left Lane News at the Detroit, Chicago, and New York auto shows to do a few short video segments on the new cars which debut at each event. We have a lot of fun doing the segments, they provide some useful information to people who would rather watch a video than read a story, and it provides an opportunity for balding, parental-basement-dwelling hipsters to bitch about my Kiton coat, curiously regionless accent, and/or luxurious coiffure. Plus it’s a bit of a challenge to say something coherent about a car with no written notes and a single take to get it right before the next video crew gets in front of the car.
My part’s easy; I just stand up, say my lines, and beat the traffic out of town. My video crew, on the other hand, has to spend a few hours in the “media room” putting the footage from two cameras together and syncing the audio. They happened to have their cameras out when two autojournos began fighting over a chair in said media room last week, and they captured the infamous line spoken by one of the contestants…
I’m from the streets. We can go outside and apologize.
Nobody know who this fellow is, but if he identifies himself to the world perhaps he and his opponent could have a little charity boxing match next year at one of the after-hours events. If the other guy doesn’t show, I might be willing to step in for three rounds, even though I’m just from the cul-de-sacs. See the video at LLN.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- David S. For a single quarter, only ninth best-selling (estimated?) of 2022. Maybe ICE vehicles would sell at a similar rate if the government paid people to buy them too?!
- Dukeisduke I don't like how they've changed their nameplates and font from the Star Trek-ish LEXUS, to L E X U S, kinda like VW's lettering on the back of the T A O S, or those stick-on letters you can buy at the parts store that people use to their own names on the back of their cars.
- Dukeisduke So, the screen goes blank for two-tenths of a second, every once in a while - what could go wrong?
- Dukeisduke "Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?"(Roy in The IT Crowd)
- Dukeisduke Just Say No To Bugs!
I think this is all a misunderstanding. That guy is a dead ringer for some of the people I've seen that live on the streets here in San Diego.
balding, parental-basement-dwelling hipsters to bitch about my Kiton coat, curiously regionless accent, and/or luxurious coiffure.
You have noticed how your cameraman dresses haven't you? Not that he lives in his folks' basement but he does look a bit like a hipster.
When I wear my Stetson fedora, because of my beard folks assume it's Yeshivish, not hipster.