Junkyard Find: 1966 Chevrolet C10 Pickup
Battered old pickups tend to survive on the steets longer than their car counterparts, since a smoke-barfing, rod-knocky Joad Family-style truck can still haul a load of stolen copper wire just as well as a cherry Adnan Khashoggi Edition™ Blackwood. Still, the time comes when the duct-tape bills (or, in this case, the parking-ticket fines) can’t be paid, and another California veteran hauler faces the cruel steel jaws of The Crusher.
The Hayward Police Department red-tagged this flamed ’66, giving the owner 72 hours to move it or face the consequences. Red-tagging is almost always the result of a complaint by a neighbor, generally as one act of many in a lengthy dispute. It costs a few hundred bucks to get your towed car out of the Lubyanka when this happens, and this truck’s owner couldn’t or wouldn’t come up with the cash.
The good news is that plenty of parts, including most of the interior and dash items, have been salvaged and should live on in other Chevy and GMC trucks of the era.
Not much interest in a 2-barrel 283 or 327 small-block of questionable condition these days.
The McGwire/Canseco-era A’s sticker suggests that this truck may have pulled tailgate-party duty at the Oakland Coliseum, back in happier times.
There’s nothing like an old-timey flame job to enrage the Avalon-driving neighbors and get the HPD to whip out the red stickers.
Writer d'Elegance Brougham Landau.
More by Murilee Martin
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Kat Laneaux @VoGhost - Not getting into politics. Let me say this though. I wouldn't trust Trump as far as I can throw him. His history precedes his actions and I am so not ok with it. The devil is the master of lies, unfortunately Trump is not far behind him. The guy is so desperate to stay in office, he might as well be Mussolini, or Putin. He just wants power and to be idolized. It's not about working for the people, he doesn't care about us. Put a camera on him and he wants the glory. As I said, his actions speak louder than words.
- ToolGuy "Mr. President, no government agency, no think tank, and no polling firm knows more about the automobile customer than us. We talk to customers every day. As retail automotive dealerships, we are agnostic as to what we sell. Our business is to provide customers with vehicles that meet the needs of their budgets and lifestyles.”• How many lies can you fit into one paragraph?
- Spamvw Three on the tree, even Generation X would have a hard time stealing one of those.
- ToolGuy This trend of cyan wheels needs to end NOW.
- Kwik_Shift Interesting nugget(s) of EV follies. https://x.com/WallStreetApes/status/1729212326237327708?s=20