Judges Made Unwitting Accessories In Beijing License Plate Scam
Beijing’s draconian license plate limits have a stimulating effect on the creativity of Beijingers. To skirt the new rules, complex schemes are being devised. Beijing’s courts are turned into accessories of the fraud. According to China Daily, the scheme goes like this:
The seller and buyer of a used car invent a debt the vehicle’s seller supposedly “owes” the buyer for which the car is “collateral”. Both go to court. The court orders the “debtor” (the car’s seller) to hand over the car to the “lender” (the car’s buyer). Along with the transfer of the car’s ownership comes the already registered license plate. Bingo.
Under the new rulings, registered owners of a car can buy a new one without being submitted to the license plate limitations. However, the plate does not transfer with the used car. As a result, Beijing’s second had car market pretty much collapsed in January. In the tough rules is an exception for the registration of cars’ ownership transfers through court adjudications, or property transfers related to marriages and inheritances. False marriages with car owners will probably rise also. Adoption and subsequent death might prove as too complicated.
“Such stipulations provide loopholes for used car buyers to avoid legitimate channels,” said Zhu Xingdong, a senior staff member of the people’s court of Beijing’s Huairou district. He said it’s tough for the courts to determine that the debts are legit, because the two parties have colluded in supplying watertight debt and reimbursement agreements. “If it is found to enable people to get around the lottery to obtain license plates, there will be a surge in these cases,” Zhu predicted.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- V16 I'm sure most people could find 155,365 reasons to choose another luxury brand SUV and pocket the difference.
- ChristianWimmer I don’t want this autonomous driving garbage technology in any car.My main fear is this. Once this technology is perfected, freedom-hating eco hysterical governments (crap hole Germany, UK and the European Union in general) will attempt to ban private car ownership because “you don’t need to own a car anymore since the car can come to you, drop you off and then proceed to service the next customer”... no thanks. Having your own car is FREEDOM.Go away, autonomous driving. I also enjoy the act of driving a car. I want to drive, not be driven.
- Mike-NB2 The solution is obvious here. Everyone should be raised in an Irish Catholic family and then all it takes is a sideways glance from mom and you're atoning for that sin for the rest of your life. My mother has been dead for decades and I still want to apologize to her. Catholic guilt is a real thing. 😁
- Wjtinfwb A good car. I don't find Accord's as appealing as they were a decade or two ago, not that they've gotten worse, but the competition has gotten better. It would be my choice if I had to pay for it myself and maintain it for 10 years and 150k miles. They'd be very reliable and no doubt inexpensive miles, but probably a pretty boring 10 years.
- Lou_BC "augmented reality" Isn't that a mamoplasty?