Wild Ass Rumor Of The Day: BYD After Maybach?
March 29th, 2010 9:04 PM Share
Chinese site auto.sina.com [via thetycho.com] has a belly-laugher of a wild-ass rumor: they say BYD has its eye on Daimler’s zombie luxury brand Maybach. The rumor is clearly based on the fact that BYD and Daimler recently closed a cooperation deal, in which they will jointly build vehicles in China for sale under a new brand name. But beyond that, there’s not much to go on. From what I can tell from the Google Translate version of the story, auto.sina.com seems to have an anonymous source in BYD that on March 23 divulged:
BYD is on the matter and approached Daimler, Daimler announced soon abandoned the brand, BYD Auto will soon be underway acquisition action.
Technically, there may still be a chance for Maybach, but it’s certainly not looking good. Daimler’s honchos admit “privately” that the brand is over, but will the Germans hand over the once-proud name to “Hand-Build Your Dreams”? And if they do, what on earth would BYD slap the double-em badge on? The mind boggles. Luckily, auto.sina.com provides appropriately absurd options for describing your reaction…
Published March 29th, 2010 7:43 PM
Join the conversation
2 of 11 comments
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Kwik_Shift There are no new Renegades for sale within my geographic circle of up to 85 kms. Looks like the artificial shortage game. They bring one in, 10 buyers line up for it, $10,000 over MSRP. Yeah. Like with a lot of new cars.
- Ribbedroof In Oklahoma, no less!
- Ribbedroof Have one in the shop for minor front collision repairs right now,I've seen more of these in the comments than in the 30 years I've been in collision repair.
- Tassos And all 3 were ordered by Fisker's mother. Seriously, given Fisker's terrible record of Failure in the past, only an utter loser, (for example, VGhost or Art Vandelay?), looking for a BEV terrible enough to be a proper replacement of his 11 mile range Fiat 500E, would order one of these. (apart from Fisker's mother)
- Tassos And all 3 of them were ordered by Fisker's mother.Seriously, after Fisker's DISMAL record of UTTER FAILURE in the past, only a GOD DAMNED MORON would order this one.
I'm somewhere between Gun Draft and Title Party on this.
Since the Maybach's styling looks like a Chinese car (Chinese designed and built limo for high ranking party members) that's a perfect match.