Obama: Model T Gets Better Mileage Than an SUV
President Obama recently received major car guy demerits when he proclaimed that America invented the automobile. Even if you give Obama a mulligan, someone on his staff should have fact-checked the jingoistic assertion—especially after President Kennedy told Germany he was a jelly donut (ein Berliner). But President Obama’s most recent gaffe reveals darker demagoguery, highlighting his Messianic mission to mold motorcars to his green dreams. The AP reports,
Obama, touring a California electric car plant on Thursday, said, ‘The 1908 Model T — think about this — the 1908 Model T earned better gas mileage than the typical SUV in 2008… Think about that: 100 years later, and we’re getting worse gas mileage, not better, on SUVs.’
Ford’s own Web site says the Model T’s mileage ranged from 13 to 21 miles per gallon. Some Tin Lizzie enthusiasts who still drive the vehicles report numbers closer to the bottom end of that range. A typical SUV sold in 2008 gets 18.7 miles per gallon.
Anyone who isn’t trying to bash Detroit (oh, and everyone else who makes the vilified vehicle) understands there’s a world of difference between America’s first mass production automobile and ANY modern SUV. More specifically: Safety. Reliability. Utility. Comfort. Ease of operation. Emissions. Etc.
The meta point: Detroit (oh, and everyone else who makes the vilified vehicle) have been purposefully dragging their heels on mpgs. Consumers, of course, are blameless. As are the feds who allowed the SUV CAFE loophole (they were bribed!).
The “we’d all be driving more more fuel efficient vehicles now if it weren’t for corporate greed” idea is a liberal, anti-Detroit shibboleth that ignores commercial realities and refuses to die. But here’s the thing: Barack’s Boyz are now in control of Chrysler and GM. What’s the bet the Presidential Task Force on Automobiles heard the Prez’s mean meme loud and clear? Guess what happens next . . . .
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Chuck Norton And guys are having wide spread issues with the 10 speed transmission with the HP numbers out of the factory......
- Zerofoo "Hyundais just got better and better during the 1990s, though, and memories of those shoddy Excels faded."Never. A friend had an early 90s Hyundai Excel as his college beater. One day he decided that the last tank of gas he bought was worth more than the car. He drove it to empty and then he and his fraternity brothers pushed it into the woods and left it there.
- Kwik_Shift There are no new Renegades for sale within my geographic circle of up to 85 kms. Looks like the artificial shortage game. They bring one in, 10 buyers line up for it, $10,000 over MSRP. Yeah. Like with a lot of new cars.
- Ribbedroof In Oklahoma, no less!
- Ribbedroof Have one in the shop for minor front collision repairs right now,I've seen more of these in the comments than in the 30 years I've been in collision repair.
Join the conversation