Bailout Watch 310: Chrysler's Thank You-gate Grows

Robert Farago
by Robert Farago

It won’t be long now: a parody ad of Chrysler’s thank you for your “investment” ad, to join the bailout parody ad and the anti-anti-bailout (i.e. Toyota) viral email. Meanwhile, Chrysler’s still catching heat for spending big bucks on the post-bailout ads in USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, online (even TTAC!) and other media. TTAC flagged the obvious waste ogf taxpayer money and condescension on the 23rd, but the MSM have just caught on. Autoblog reports today on Fox News’ Monday report slamming the automaker for the campaign. Their boy Newt’s minion does the dirty. “‘It’s quite ridiculous to be spending that kind of money,’ said Princella Smith, national spokeswoman for American Solutions, an organization headed by former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich. ‘Those ads are just a precise example of the fact that they do not get it … and it’s just in our faces.'” So, now how much did they pay? “A full-page ad in The Wall Street Journal runs between $206,000 and $264,000, and a full-page ad in USA Today runs between $112,000 and $217,000.” Wow. Still, $4b buys you a lot of ad space, if not a single class-leading automobile. Oh, and why haven’t MSM picked-up on the fact that the ad’s picture is a fake?

Robert Farago
Robert Farago

More by Robert Farago

Join the conversation
4 of 12 comments
  • Dangerous Dave Dangerous Dave on Dec 31, 2008

    Chrysler never does the right thing.

  • Terry Terry on Dec 31, 2008

    "If I didn’t know better– I’d think youall were mannerless heathens with no knowledge of publishing. You guys can’t have it both ways. Either it’s right to say thank you, or it’s not. Chrysler did the right thing." Uhhh, no. If they had thanked W. specifically then at the very least they would have been accurate in who they should have been thanking. When 70% of the country was against the bailout, was the ad thanking the other 30%?

  • Yankinwaoz Yankinwaoz on Dec 31, 2008

    They didn't do the right thing. I feel like I've been mugged, and then have to be insulted by the mugger "thanking" me for opportunity.

  • Ronnie Schreiber Ronnie Schreiber on Jan 01, 2009

    Did Citigroup or AIG thank anyone?