Volt Birth Watch 91: The Inevitable DetN Cheerleading Blog Post
Surprise! The Detroit News published not one, not two but THREE PR puff pieces to accompany the “launch” of GM’s plug-in electric – gas hybrid Volt– an unveiling that’s two years ahead of sales (where IS that Camaro?). Scott Burgess gets the top slot, with “ Jolting expectations: Inviting electric car is rare example of reality outdoing the concept.” Burgess begins his ode to Voltage by discounting the discrepancy between the endlessly touted concept car and the now-endlessly touted (if non-functional) “production” version. Yada, yada, yada. “GM has pushed through every checkpoint and remains on schedule to deliver a car that is a true game-changer.” Next up: “ Volt turnaround proves U.S. automakers’ mettle” by Auto Editor Manny Lopez. “Any questions about what the American auto industry can do were answered Tuesday at the Renaissance Center when a production model of the Chevrolet Volt rolled into the automotive universe.” You know, other than “can you guys avoid bankruptcy?” “Is the Volt the answer?” Manny pretends to ask. “Not alone. But when paired with other new products such as the Chevy Cruze, which GM says will get 45 miles per gallon, or the Ford Fiesta or the next generation pickups from all three automakers, the domestic industry’s offerings look pretty good.” KBISFB. And finally, Robert Snell’s more news-oriented take (hence it’s postition at the bottom of the deck). Snell simply repeats all the suits’ n’ analysts’ hype, finishing with a bit of unintentional foreshadowing. “”It is not a niche product,” Alex Cattelan, the Volt’s assistant chief engineer opines. “It is the tip of the iceberg.”
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Syke Thanks, somehow I missed that.
- 285exp I am quite sure that it is a complete coincidence that they have announced a $7k price increase the same week that the current administration has passed legislation extending the $7k tax credit that was set to expire. Yep, not at all related.
- Syke Is it possible to switch the pure EV drive on and off? Given the wonderful throttle response of an EV, I could see the desirability of this for a serious off-roader. Run straight ICE to get to your off-roading site, switch over the EV drive during the off-road section, then back to ICE for the road trip back home.
- ToolGuy Historical Perspective Moment:• First-gen Bronco debuted in MY1966• OJ Simpson Bronco chase was in 1994• 1966 to 1994 = 28 years• 1994 to now = 28 yearsFeel old yet?
- Ronnie Schreiber From where is all that electricity needed to power an EV transportation system going to come? Ironically, the only EV evangelist that I know of who even mentions the fragile nature of our electrical grid is Elon Musk. None of the politicians pushing EVs go anywhere near it, well, unless they are advocating for unreliable renewables like wind and solar.