General Motors is gearing up for the release of several new EVs over the next few years, starting with the Chevrolet Equinox EV this fall. Expected to land with a price tag of $30,000, the SUV could be the start of a new wave of affordable electric models, and we’re getting our first official look at the vehicle thanks to InsideEVs’ digging on China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) site.
General Motors recently announced plans to enable bi-directional charging in its new EVs starting in 2026, but the automaker snuck a hint into the end of that announcement that is worth unpacking. GM released a video with its announcement to highlight the feature, and at the end, text appears that says the tech will be available with “New Ultium-Based Coupes.”
General Motors has an exciting few years ahead of it, as the automaker plans several new EVs before the end of the decade. Starting in 2026, GM’s electric vehicles will offer a clever bi-directional charging function that allows them to act as backup home generators or emergency EV chargers for other drivers.
Honda and Acura haven’t yet released an EV in the United States, but that’s about to change. The automakers have partnered with General Motors, and Honda’s working with Sony on a separate car project. The fruits of the GM/Honda partnership are coming soon, as the Prologue EV will be Honda’s first in the U.S., and the Acura ZDX is coming not long after. Acura recently released new information on the ZDX, including an overview of its updated tech features.
The Chevrolet Bolt has been an important player in GM’s move to electrify itself, but as one of the automaker’s early EVs, its time has almost run its course. The affordable car is going away at the end of the year to make way for the production of GM’s new electric trucks, including the Chevy Silverado EV and the GMC Sierra EV.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.