TTAC Tech Tips: Find That Owner's Manual
This week we received an email from one of our readers, Stephen, asking specifically about owners manuals for weird old cars!
I have a weird old car that did not come with an owner’s manual or any sort of information. There is information I have found online but I really want to have the original book to have in my hand. Any ideas where there is a good place to look for one?
Great question, Stephen! This happens to be a challenge I have personally faced many times. Sometimes, depending on the exact vehicle you have, it can be a real chore to find an owner’s manual.
I would start by looking up groups/clubs that focus on your specific vehicle either by Google or social media. Emailing groups can sometimes point you in the direction of somebody who collects owner’s manuals, or someone might just have an idea of where to find one!
If you feel lucky, eBay!
I find that if your car is from across the oceans, check out eBay in other countries! Usually, something will pop up, and fingers crossed the seller will ship it over to you. If you feel inclined, you can also scour other automotive classifieds from around the world online. Sometimes it can be a simple search, but it often leads to an adventure in emails.
In the meantime, while you search for an original physical manual, I would recommend some deep diving online in the manual reproduction department. It is not uncommon to find a website where you can access PDF scanned original manuals for your vehicle. While these cannot provide you with the physical copy you are looking for, I found they provide me with a great reference point that holds me over until I find an original for myself.
The best advice I can give you is don’t give up. With patience, something will eventually pop up, and it is always rewarding to finally hold your vehicle’s original owner’s manual in your hands.
If you don't mind, please email me a picture when you find it. Owner’s Manuals fascinate me.
Until then, best of luck and happy hunting!
I would also like to extend a huge thank you for the emails I have been receiving. Please keep asking me questions. I have been enjoying digging deep and finding the answers to your toughest questions.
Please send me an email at email@example.com with all inquiries you may have.
[Image: ccpixx photography/Shutterstock.com]
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- RHD The Skoda Enyaq is priced at 34,600 Euros in Germany. If Skoda would like to dip their toes in the water at the other side of the pond, now would be the time.
- Roadscholar Safety, shmafety....I love it.
- RHD Goodbye. We won't miss you much... actually, we won't miss you at all. Toyota, please send something better (although almost anything would be better).
- RHD Those cameras would be made non-functional if they were sprayed with aerosol bedliner. So please, do not do that. And definitely do not tell the good folks in Oxford to spray the cameras with bedliner.
- Dusterdude Whatever the UAW advises should always be taken at face value , we all know they are honest and transparent , so no debate even required .