Toyota Teases Land Cruiser Ahead of Aug 1 Debut
The slow drip of information about the upcoming square-as-a-box Toyota Land Cruiser continues with the teaser photo you see above.
It is widely understood the new Land Cruiser will be based on the same platform as the recently unveiled 2024 Lexus GX, another boxy brute set to be offered with a new Overtrail trim that provides extra off-road grunt for people who need it or wish to project the image. Other teaser images of the Land Cruiser have shown a side profile and window shapes largely identical to the new GX, so it is safe to say it will share much with its tony cousin.
As for today’s image, we find a bluff nose with narrow rectangle headlamps bookending a grille featuring the TOYOTA billboard made popular by TRD Pro variants of the Toyota truck family. Whether this design will be on all new Land Cruisers or just a trim or two is tough to say, though this author is gratified to see it show up at all. Toyota has chosen to park a 60-series Land Cruiser in the back of the shot, another model which had a similar grille design and rectangular headlamps (albeit ones that used of-the-moment sealed beams). We’ll go out on a limb and say the new Cruiser will have amber turn signals in its taillamps as another throwback gesture.
It would make sense for Toyota to offer the same powertrain as found in the new GX, a 3.4L twin-turbo mill making 349 horsepower and 479 lb.-ft of torque. A hybrid variant, likely with even more power, is promised to appear later in the car’s development cycle. Certain options can jack the GX’s towing capacity to a stout 8,000 pounds. Gritty features on the Overtrail include the likes of 33-inch all-terrain tires, a locking rear diff, and KDSS suspension for extra wheel articulation compared to other trims. Expect the same – and possibly more – in the most rugged variants of this new Land Cruiser.
Toyota promises to unveil this new model in full on August 1, at which time we’ll finally get a good look at what’s surely to be the new darling of Overland types across the land.
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Bullnuke It may be awhile before these show up on US shores. The MV Fremantle Highway has just started demo/reconstruction in Rotterdam after the large fire when transporting its last shipment of electric Porsche products.
- Fie on Fiasler Big, fast and thirsty does not equal good. True luxury is not cobbled together by the UAW.
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.