The Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Was By Far the Most-Stolen Car of the Last Three Years

Chris Teague
by Chris Teague

the dodge charger srt hellcat was by far the most stolen car of the last three years

We’ve been hearing a lot about Hyundai and Kia car thefts, as some older models lack electronic immobilizers, but as it turns out, they’re nowhere near the most frequently stolen cars in America. The Insurance Insititute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) division recently released its list of the most stolen vehicles from model years 2020-2022, and the top models wear Dodge badges.

The Dodge Charger Hellcat models saw 25 whole-vehicle theft claims per 1,000 insured vehicles, which HLDI said is up from 18 for 2019-2021 models. The previously most-stolen vehicle, the Infiniti Q60, had only two thefts per 1,000 vehicles when it topped the 2017-2019 list.

The top 10 most stolen vehicles from 2020-2022 include:

·      Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat: 6,128 claims

·      Dodge Charger Hemi: 2,197

·      Infiniti Q50: 878

·      Dodge Challenger: 766

·      Land Rover Range Rover: 611

·      Kia Sportage: 479

·      Land Rover Range Rover Sport: 460

·      Kia Sportage AWD: 415

·      Honda CR-V AWD: 409

·      BMW X6: 361

In contrast, the list of least-stolen cars has models with as few as three theft claims, which was the case for the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y, with three theft claims during the period. The Volvo XC90, GMC Acadia AWD, and Tesla Model X rounded out the five least-stolen models, with six, seven, and eight claims, respectively. 

[Image: Dodge]

Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by  subscribing to our newsletter.

Join the conversation
5 of 22 comments
  • MKizzy MKizzy on Sep 01, 2023

    Infiniti Q50 is on the list? Who the heck steals an Infiniti? Even many of their owners don't want them if Consumer Reports is to be believed.

  • Carson D Carson D on Sep 01, 2023

    I would have thought that a group of Hyundais and Kias would dominate this list, based on mainstream media reporting. Odd.

    • See 2 previous
    • Lou_BC Lou_BC on Sep 03, 2023

      If one says 46% of marriages end in divorce that means the other 54% ends in death.

  • Jbltg Rear bench seat does not match the front buckets. What's up?
  • Theflyersfan The two Louisville truck plants are still operating, but not sure for how much longer. I have a couple of friends who work at a manufacturing company in town that makes cooling systems for the trucks built here. And they are on pins and needles wondering if or when they get the call to not go back to work because there are no trucks being made. That's what drives me up the wall with these strikes. The auto workers still get a minimum amount of pay even while striking, but the massive support staff that builds components, staffs temp workers, runs the logistics, etc, ends up with nothing except the bare hope that the state's crippled unemployment system can help them keep afloat. In a city where shipping (UPS central hub and they almost went on strike on August 1) and heavy manufacturing (GE Appliance Park and the Ford plants) keeps tens of thousands of people employed, plus the support companies, any prolonged shutdown is a total disaster for the city as well. UAW members - you're not getting a 38% raise right away. That just doesn't happen. Start a little lower and end this. And then you can fight the good fight against the corner office staff who make millions for being in meetings all day.
  • Dusterdude The "fire them all" is looking a little less unreasonable the longer the union sticks to the totally ridiculous demands ( or maybe the members should fire theit leadership ! )
  • Thehyundaigarage Yes, Canadian market vehicles have had immobilizers mandated by transport Canada since around 2001.In the US market, some key start Toyotas and Nissans still don’t have immobilizers. The US doesn’t mandate immobilizers or daytime running lights, but they mandate TPMS, yet canada mandates both, but couldn’t care less about TPMS. You’d think we’d have universal standards in North America.
  • Alan I think this vehicle is aimed more at the dedicated offroad traveller. It costs around the same a 300 Series, so its quite an investment. It would be a waste to own as a daily driver, unless you want to be seen in a 'wank' vehicle like many Wrangler and Can Hardly Davidson types.The diesel would be the choice for off roading as its quite torquey down low and would return far superior mileage than a petrol vehicle.I would think this is more reliable than the Land Rovers, BMW make good engines.