Could the Toyota Supra Get a Big Power Bump?
Our friends over at Motor1 have been busy today.
First it’s the rumor about the next-gen Honda Civic Type R getting a big power boost and all-wheel drive, and now they’re reporting that a version of the Toyota Supra might get a big power bump, bigger than what the car got in 2021.
Well, actually, it’s Japanese Web site BestCarWeb.jp, the same site that surfaced the Civic rumors, doing the reporting – Motor1 is just aggregating the info, same as I am right now, after translating it.
Boring stuff out of the way, let’s take a peek at the report. The rumor is that the Supra will use the twin-turbo inline-six-cylinder that’s planned for the next BMW M3/M4, which should displace 3.0-liters. The Supra is already basically a BMW in Toyota clothing, so this makes sense.
The report claims the Supra would get the same horsepower number as the BWM Competition models – 510. A seven-speed DCT automatic gearbox would get that power to the rear wheels.
This engine would be in a specific model of the Supra, dubbed GRMN. Apparently, according to reports, BMW was reluctant to share this engine. Perhaps because the same report suggests that the GRMN car, targeted for the 2023 model year and rumored to sell in extremely limited production – only 200 units – would mark the beginning of the end for the Supra in general, with the 2025 model year marking the end for all Supra models.
Oh, and one more thing – the reporting suggests a GRMN of this ilk would cost $112,000, which is around double the sticker price of current Supras.
Again, though, like the Civic Type R report from this morning – these kinds of things need to be taken with heaps of salt. The Japanese report claims some of the info comes from Toyota’s lead on the Supra, Tetsuya Tada, but even if that’s true, it doesn’t mean a heck of a lot just yet. All the translated report seems to suggest is that Tada said Toyota overcame BMW resistance to using the engine.
We reached out to Toyota for comment and we were reminded that the company does not talk about future product or rumored future product.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Redapple2 C2 is the best. C3 next. Then C7 (looking at you jimII).
- Jeff S Vulpine--True the CAFE rules are for ICE.
- Gray I grew up in the era of Panther and Fox platforms. If only they developed a good looking two door Conti. The four doors became a cult in their own right. And kept the 351W as a top line option.
- Vulpine ABSOLUTELY YES!!! Bring back the TRUE compact trucks. The demand for them is far higher than the OEMs want to admit.
- Brn More likely, with Google having troubles, the money tree isn't as ripe as it once was and cutbacks are needed.I hope the overall industry continues to evolve. When I get the the point I can't easily drive, I would still appreciate the independence that autonomous vehicles can bring.