Food for Thought: Honda Civic Si or… Corolla?
If you’re like us — and I do mean us, as this is an issue on which there’s no disagreement — you probably view the Honda Civic Si as an attractive entry in the affordable “fun” car realm. A peppier-than-most powerplant, standard six-speed manual, brand appeal, stellar model reputation, and a spacious cabin? What’s not to like?
Well, certainly not this lease offer, which makes the 205-horsepower Civic Si a cheaper get than a low-end Corolla.
As noted by CarsDirect, this month sees Honda offering a Sign & Drive lease on the Civic Si that amounts to $260 a month for 36 months with nothing due at signing, making for a fun and affordable sedan (and this offer does apply only to the sedan variant). More affordable, certainly, than the current lease on a Toyota Corolla LE, which comes out to $209 a month with $1,995 due at signing.
Over the three-year term, you’d pay five bucks a month more for the Corolla, which makes do with a 1.8-liter four generating 139 hp and 126 lb-ft of torque. The turbocharged 1.5-liter in the Si generates 192 lb-ft of twist. Cheapskate performance fans will also note that the Corolla LE carries a standard continuously variable automatic. Not to dump on the significantly improved 2020 Corolla, but… forget it!
CarsDirect claims the Civic Si carries a lease interest rate equal to 0.98 percent APR and a higher residual value than the Toyota, allowing Honda to offer a pocket performer for economy car dollars.
While local offers may be higher than the L.A.-based one listed here, there’s probably no better time to get into a Civic Si for three years than now. Civic Si coupes are an extra $10 a month, making them a slightly more expensive lease than the Corolla. As for buying, Honda’s offering 1.9 percent APR for 60 months, but nothing tops the current lease offer on the sedan. It runs out July 6th.
More by Steph Willems
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Tassos Jong-iL Is that Prince Harry? I have not seen him and Meagan for a long time, I hope my Dear friends are well.
- Tassos Jong-iL I would like to wish a good morning to TTAC. There has been much arguments and fighting here, and we hope today will be more peaceful.
- Lachlan Anyone remember what happened the last time a senator named Hawley pushed a big tariff?
- Craiger I love the people who call Musk an imbecile. As if they could even get an interview for a job at one of his companies.
- Lou_BC I'm waiting for Tesla to make a pickup!