QOTD: Standing Out With Bad Paint Colors?
I sparked a minor Twitter argument this week after offering up an image of a brand new car that’s available in a truly horrible exterior color. Public Car Twitter opinion mobilized quickly and angrily against my take, and only a couple others were brave enough to take my side against such a visual crime.
Today we talk paint.
For reference, the Twitter thread is here. I’d seen a press shot of the new Hyundai Sonata, which happened to be painted a dreadful Hot Gold Metallic color. It’s too mustard, a bit downmarket, and worst of all, will age any car painted this color in short order. Some other gold-painted things which didn’t age well include the Jaguar XJ-S, the first generation Porsche Cayenne, and the 1998 Lincoln Town Car. And here’s another example:
That’s right, the Spicy Gold available on the similarly shaded Volkswagen Arteon is also bad. “Well, good luck with silver or black then, jerk,” they seemed to say. A bit hyperbolic, says me. I’m all for availability of different colors, and even personally stay away from silver or black rides. But some colors are just bad. The Arteon up there is great in other colors, and I’d go for an electric blue (available), that orange color from the Tiguan (not available), or teal like a C4 Corvette (not available).
That leads to our question today, which happens to be a two-part affair. First, I’d like to get your opinion on the gold metallic lacquers shown above — whether I’m right about the 1979 Dodge Monaco vibes, or if I’m just way out of touch. For the second part, let’s hear some more examples of factory paint colors that proved very questionable. Off to you.
[Images: Hyundai, Volkswagen]
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Inside Looking Out Enforcing laws? It is so yesterday! Welcome to California!
- Lou_BC You'd think cops would have an understanding of the laws they are supposed to enforce.
- Merlyn I’m on my second Spark and love it! I can pass any car I’ve never had a problem going up a hill it does just fine. As for cargo I can fit three suitcases, two book bags and still have the front seat for a passenger. Not sure what point this guy is trying to make. I have hand free phone service and Sirius radio plug in my phone and have navigation. I would buy another spark in a heartbeat.
- Buickman I won't own one and I'll be happy!
- Jeanbaptiste Ever since y’all started sending your damn geese down here we’re just been waiting for one of you to show up.
The problem with that Sonata isn't the color. Who thought angry cat-fish was a good idea? It might look good in one of the dark chameleon colors from the late 90s. I like color choices, but that car...yeesh. FCA has a bunch of colors that I dig.
Admittedly, the yellow/gold color wasn't a great choice but at least it's not a shade of gray. The world needs to brighten up and fill it with cars that are a TRUE color instead of a shade of gray. I'll take a blue or green car all day long.