Blackwing Swoops in: Replacing V-Series as Cadillac's Top Performance Line
With the launch of the new Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V models, enthusiast balked at the mild power outputs and engine configurations. The CT4-V provides 320 horsepower from its 2.7-liter turbocharged four-cylinder mill, while the CT5-V’s turbo V6 makes 355 hp. Both figures are significant degradations from the previous ATS-V and CTS-V models, respectively.
Fear not, dear readers. The V-Series moniker has simply moved down-market, effectively replacing the V-Sport line. But this has made room for a new top-tier performance line: Blackwing.
As reported by Muscle Cars and Trucks, the V-Series will assume the position in the Cadillac lineup that was previously occupied by the V-Sport line. The briefly-offered V-Sport models did not sell well, possibly due to a lack of recognition in what they offered. The third-generation CTS V-Sport came with a 420 hp, 430 ft-lb twin-turbo V6, which positioned it well between a 335 hp CTS 3.6 and CTS-V with 640 hp. Maybe there were simply too many engine choices on offer. There were four, when the base 2.0L turbo four-cylinder was included.
Offering an intermediary performance line is not unique to Cadillac, of course. The new V-Sport models are in line with BMW’s M Sport, Audi’s Sport Line, Mercedes’ lower-level AMG models, or Dodge’s Scat Packs. And, like the AMGs and Scat Packs, the specific engine choices will be exclusively tied to the V-Sport models.
However, the CT5-V still takes a significant step back in energy output from vs outgoing CTS V-Sport. While making a still-respectable 355 hp and 400 ft-lbs from its 3.0L V6, the CT5-V is down 65 hp and 30 ft-lbs to the previous generation V-Sport car. With the CT4-V coming with a 4-cylinder engine, it appears that the new V-Series may actually be positioning itself below the outgoing V-Sport line. In the case of the CT5, the V model will be taking the place of the two V6 engines, which may explain the final numbers.
Fortunately, the CT4-V and CT5-V retain a host of performance-oriented features, aside from the higher-output engines. Limited-slip differentials, magnetic ride control, customizable V-Mode driving configurations, Brembo front brakes, and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires indicate that they’re more than a badging exercise. With the V-Series models mildly sedated though, we can all hope that the Blackwing models will soar to former V-Series levels of performance, or beyond.
Mmreeses on Jul 03, 2019
once again, collective comment wisdom trumps the results of some marketing department pow-wow. why not keep the V upmarket and use "Blackwing" as Cadillac's F-Sport. Makes no sense...as my kneejerk reaction is that "Blackwing" just sounds like another trim level like "Platinum," "Denali," "Unobtanium," etc.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- InCogKneeToe BUILD It and they will come.By Build It, I mean a Vehicle that the Customer Wants and it works for them. It could be called Chevette for all that that matters. The Mach E's success isn't because it totes the Mustang on it.Just build what people want, the next Caravan/Taurus/Beetle/Maverick (truck).
- YellowDuck Wait...how do you make a mid-engine crossover? Or even a 4-door coupe? Me not get.
- 28-Cars-Later Thanks Corey. The head stud job on NOrthSTAR-T was $3K *years ago* as it involves an engine pull so rear wheel arch rust in and of itself isn't a show stopper. I'll be sure to check out the trunk as it may start to add up on deferred maintenance. Supposedly this was garaged so the underneath the rockers etc. should be decent but if those are shot its not gonna work.
- Mark 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, G4NG engine with connecting rod bearing issues. Engine needs to be replaced, but Hyundai is denying warranty claim. I have all maintenance records from mile zero. It has been in Hyundai Service department 5 time in 4 months. They added the knock sensor and software update to let you know the engine is about to blow up. They kicked the can down the road doing patch work until the car was past the 120k extended extended warranty. I have that documentation too. So how can I join the class action law suit or find a Lawyer that handles these types of issues?
- Wolfwagen Always loved the late 70s and very early 80s Scout II and Terras.This resurrection will be nothing like those. SINO - Scout in Name Only