Piston Slap: Roughing It in Tucson?
I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson 1.6T with 90K and I have an intermittent issue of a rough idle with the A/C on — it feels very jumpy and did not have this issue before. When you turn it back off the idle becomes smooth again. I’ve cleaned the MAP and boost pressure sensors as well as removed the throttle body to clean it — it had a little gunk at the bottom of it but it looked really clean. That seemed to clear up the problem, but the issue came back again. I know it’s due for another spark plug change (as Hyundai says every 45K) so I’ll get that done soon. but I’d like to trace this down while I’m doing the work under there.
PS: And no, it’s not under warranty — as countless others have claimed.
Any engine codes? It never hurts to scan for codes just to cross it off the list.
That said, I am leaning toward either a vacuum leak (not likely, but modern turbocharged and direct injected mills got plenty of plumbing) or a refrigerant pressure problem. If you used a cheapo A/C recharge kit (again, not likely) get a pro (or professional gauges) to test the actual pressures: maybe your expansion valve (some cars use an orifice tube) is blocked and causing pressure issues that’s driving the engine computer bonkers.
But this is a direct injected motor! Fouled spark plugs and coked up EGR passages/combustion chambers (though high mileage suggests otherwise) could exacerbate the poor idle when the A/C compressor starts churning. So replace the plugs, but put a scope in there before installation: do you see significant carbon buildup?
Hopefully not, but if the plugs give you no joy, maybe it’s time to de-carbon the engine as per Hyundai specifications.
What say you, Best and Brightest?
Send your queries to email@example.com. Spare no details and ask for a speedy resolution if you’re in a hurry…but be realistic, and use your make/model specific forums instead of TTAC for more timely advice.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Randy in rocklin The Japanese can be so smart and yet so dumb. I'm America-Japanese and they really can be dumb sometimes like their masking paranoia.
- Bunkie The Flying Flea has a fascinating story and served, inadvertently, to broaden the understanding of aircraft design. The crash described in the article is only part of the tale.
- Master Baiter "I like the Earth."The idea that modern combustion engines are incompatible with the ongoing survival of the Earth, or of humanity, is breathtakingly stupid. Climate alarmism is akin to a religion--one to which I do not subscribe.
- Skippity Key takeaways.Toyota is run by competent businessmen.Art doesn’t like Toyota.
- MaintenanceCosts Audi has been a full player in the German luxury club for 20 years. It started to get there with the first A4, which was a 500-foot home run, and then achieved full recognition with the spectacular D3 A8.