I'm Wrong A Lot: Steve McQueen's Porsche Fetches Nearly $2M
Steve McQueen’s 1976 Porsche 911 Turbo Carrera fetched $1.95 million at auction, according to Hemmings Daily.
The specially ordered, air-cooled turbo Porsche had a few cool factory features including dual mirrors, limited-slip differential, black leather buckets and the original tag with McQueen’s custom-ordered slate gray color still riveted to the door jamb.
Considering a fine 1976 Porsche 930 with 64,000 miles on the clock went for nearly $300,000, I figured the auction for charity of McQueen’s car would fetch around the same.
I’m wrong. I can admit that to you now.
Proceeds from the auction will go to Boys Republic, a school in Chino Hills, California, that helps at-risk youth.
Beyond owning the last car that McQueen reportedly special ordered, the new Porsche 930 owner will get the added benefit of having a kill-switch for the rear lights, in case they’re being followed at night like McQueen.
The car was reportedly “refreshed” in the 1990s, which means that not all the cars that went for mega-money this weekend were unrestored Ferraris.
More by Aaron Cole
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX "But we can all go pound sand in North America, unfortunately"In reality, that would be about 1000 people who can go pound sand, which is why this isn't coming to North America.
- MaintenanceCosts You could probably make this thing satisfy US emissions standards, although it wouldn't right now, but there is no way on God's green earth you could make it satisfy US safety standards.
- MrIcky Haven't these been out for a while? Is the news just that Japan gets them now too?
- JTiberius1701 Jaguar Contour....
- Analoggrotto How pathetic, as Telluride ATPs continue to soar with a model released in 2018, Toyota is living in the past, bringing back old heavy truck frame junk like this to sell a few hundred copies. They can't even remotely compete on reddit for the toast of society who enjoys the finest AVMs and ATPs by signing up for the finest SUV for under $100k and only #2 to the Purosangue beyond that. This is like the Miata of 3 Row SUVs, you can pay more but not get anything better.