Junkyard Find: 1984 Chevrolet Corvette
You know how there was no 1983 Corvette, and then the C4 finally came out in 1984, and it had this terrible twin-throttle-body fuel-injection system? Of course you do. Anyway, C4 Corvettes are worth enough these days that they’re not common sights in self-service wrecking yards, and those that I do find have been picked pretty clean.. Shops that specialize in Corvettes intercept most basket-case examples before they get to these yards, but I found four C4s all together at a Southern California yard last month. Let’s check out a well-stripped example of the first of the good-handling Corvettes.
This one is rough, the interior smells like the blue water in a Porta-Potty, and you’ll get a case of fiberglass-itch if you get too close.
But the Cross-Fire Injection is pretty cool-looking.
I didn’t bother to shoot the other three C4s, because they were all in similar condition.
I’m sure these carcasses will stay out on the yard until there’s nothing left of them.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- DenverMike What else did anyone think, when GM was losing tens of billions a year, year after year?
- Bill Wade GM says they're killing Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Any company that makes decisions like that is doomed to die.
- Jeff S I don't believe gm will die but that it will continue to shrink in product and market share and it will probably be acquired by a foreign manufacturer. I doubt gm lacks funds as it did in 2008 and that they have more than enough cash at hand but gm will not expand as it did in the past and the emphasis is more on profitability and cutting costs to the bone. Making gm a more attractive takeover target and cut costs at the expense of more desirable and reliable products. At the time of Farago's article I was in favor of the Government bailout more to save jobs and suppliers but today I would not be in favor of the bailout. My opinions on gm have changed since 2008 and 2009 and now I really don't care if gm survives or not.
- Kwik_Shift I was a GM fan boy until it ended in 2013 when I traded in my Avalanche to go over to Nissan.
- Stuart de Baker I didn't bother to read this article. I'll wait until a definitive headline comes out, and I'll be surprised if Tesla actually produces the Cybertruck. It certainly looks impractical for both snowy and hot sunny weather.
Had an 85 with the multi port injection. Bought with high miles and put 30K trouble free miles on it. Was dependable and ran 14.0 1/4.. Not bad for 160K miles. I am not a Gm guy by any stretch but always wanted a Vette. Cheap fun, easy to fix and easy to run. I would buy another in a sec. I think they are some of the best deals out there. Surprised to see three there in a row! That back glass is an expensive item as are alot of the other Vette-specific bits.
The comments here are really priceless,to dare to compare a Corvette to a Miata is so out of line is almost blasphemous,one wonders if the "reviewer" in question didn't spend his whole existence squeezed in the back seat of a Honda Civic...