GM, Isuzu Put Another $60 Million Into Moraine, Ohio Diesel Plant

TTAC Staff
by TTAC Staff
gm isuzu put another 60 million into moraine ohio diesel plant

General Motors and Isuzu announced that they will be investing $60 million in their joint venture DMAX Ltd., which makes diesel engines for heavy duty trucks. Reuters reports that thw investment in technologies at the Moraine, Ohio plant will make design changes to meet future emission regulations easier. GM says that 500 jobs will be retained due to the expenditure. DMAX has produced almost 1.6 million diesel engines since it started operations in 2000. Isuzu owns 40% of DMAX and GM owns the remaining 60% controlling interest.

The investment brings the total amount the two companies have put into the plant to $760 million. The Moraine facility currently builds the Duramax 6.6-liter turbo diesel engine used in the heavy-duty versions of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks as well as the Chevy Express and GMC Savana full-size commercial vans.

GM has announced that starting in the 2016 model year, the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon mid-size pickups will offer the 2nd generation Duramax four cylinder diesel in a 2.8 liter turbocharged version and the company is considering offering a diesel option on the the regular duty versions of the Silverado and Sierra. It’s not clear if either of those engines will be assembled in Moraine. A 2.5 liter version of GMs new diesel is currently assembled in Thailand.

Join the conversation
4 of 8 comments
  • Wmba Wmba on Feb 06, 2014

    Isuzu and GM have been partners since 1972, so Isuzu know what to expect from egoistic "I'm the greatest!" sociopathic high achiever GM executives. Look at those two faces in the photo. One interested in himself, the other just doing a good job, and aware of the glamor. Isuzu knows how to handle GM.

  • Carlson Fan Carlson Fan on Feb 06, 2014

    What not offer that 2.8L diesel in all those 1/2 ton BOF fullsize SUVs you sell?

  • OliverTwist OliverTwist on Feb 06, 2014

    What became of 4.5-litre Duramax V8 diesel motor with innovative intake and exhaust system? Government Motors pulled the plug on this motor at last minute in 2009 after spending hundreds of millions dollars on getting the factory ready for the production. We're still waiting for the diesel version of Tahoe and Suburban.

  • VelocityRed3 VelocityRed3 on Feb 06, 2014

    My pops drove past this plant (just east of I-75, just south of Dayton) for 33 1/2 years on his way to the DP&L Hutchinson Station power plant. My '05 Trailblazer was built on these grounds. Moraine High had a pretty good Marching Band in the early 80's. That's all I got. LOL