Question: What Current Machine Most Needs a Brougham Edition?
After admiring the Broughamism of today’s Junkyard Find, and still awed by the Broughamic zenith represented by the ’72 Mercury Marquis Brougham Junkyard Find, I can’t help but think that the automotive industry needs to bring back the Brougham! Only thing is, it’s tough to decide which 2012 American-market car or truck would benefit most from Broughamization.
As far as I can tell, the 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood was the last Detroit-built car with Brougham badging, ending a run of at least three decades of the Big Three (plus AMC) making crypto-luxury option packages named after a sporty horse-drawn carriage.
Japanese automakers continued to Brougham it up outside of the United States; you could get a Daewoo Prince Brougham until the late 1990s, and the Nissan Cedric had a Brougham option (at least on cars sold in the Middle East) well into the current century.
No doubt there’s some Chinese or Indian car company building Broughams nowadays, but that doesn’t help us here in North America. The obvious choice for a US- or Canada-market Brougham Edition would be a leather-and-cup-holder-overload giant SUV… but I’m going to say that it’s Toyota’s time to step up and build us a Camry Brougham. Maybe even a Camry Brougham Landau d’Elegance, if they really want to be serious. Put a vinyl top on the Camry, maybe some faux-wire wheels, add a diamond-tucked red velour interior… and Brougham badges everywhere. This would put an immediate stop to the “all Camrys are boring” complaints. That’s my choice for the best 2012 Brougham. What’s yours?
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Tassos Before you rush to buy this heap of rusty metal, maybe you should wait a day or two.I hear Tim will have an Model T next time.
- Redapple2 I d just buy one already sorted. Too many high level skills (wiring, paint, body panel fitment et. al.) that i dont have. And I dont fancy working 100 s of hours for $3 /hour.
- 28-Cars-Later I'm actually surprised at this and not sure what to make of it. In recent memory Senator Biden has completely ignored an ecological disaster in Ohio, and then ignored a tragic fire in Hawaii until his handlers were goaded in sending him and his visit turned into it's own disaster, but we skipped nap time for this sh!t show? Seriously? We really are through the looking glass now, "votes" no longer matter (Hillary almost won being the worst presidential candidate since 1984 before he claimed the crown) and outside of Corvette nostalgia Joe doesn't care let alone know what day it happens to be. Could they really be afraid of Trump, who AFAIK has planned no appearance or run his mouth on this issue? Just doesn't make sense, granted this is Clown World so maybe its my fault for trying to find sense in a senseless act.
- Tassos If you only changed your series to the CORRECT "Possibly Collectible, NOT Daily Driver, NOT Used car of the day", it would sound much more accurate AND TRUTHFUL.Now who would collect THIS heap of trash for whatever misguided reason, nostalgia for a much worse automotive era or whatever, is another question.
- ToolGuy Price dropped $500 overnight. (Wait 10 more days and you might get it for free?)