2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible: Track Focused?
We’ve already heard that the 2013 GT500 droptop will be limited to a relatively poky 155MPH. That’s probably for the best, really. It’s much safer to roll a convertible over at 155 than it would be at, say, a buck-ninety.
During the press conference, however, we heard an interesting factoid, one that got us interested enough to sucker-punch SVT’s Jamal Hameedi for a brief Q-and-A:
Hau Thai-Tang told the press that the 2013 convertible with the SVT Performance Pack, which includes driver-adjustable Bilstein shocks to help the pony posse get over their ZL1 Magnaride envy, is “three seconds faster than the outgoing coupe.” What does that mean?
Mr. Hameedi was happy to help: the 2013 Performance Package convertible is about three seconds a lap ahead of the 2011 Performance Package coupe around Sebring. “Which,” he chuckled, “should give you an idea of where we will be with the coupe.”
No doubt that the current SVT GT500 is one of the fastest American cars to ever hit a showroom floor, but sitting next to the new hotness, Ford had helpfully displayed a ’93 Fox-body Cobra. It did the quarter-mile in 14.5 seconds with 230 horsepower. Not enough to hang with a Camry in 2012. Know what? We’d still like to have one.
Photography courtesy of Julie Hyde
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Add Lightness Range Rovers have come a long, long ways from their original concept of a gentleman's Land Cruiser. Pretty useless off road now but the wannabees will love them until the warrantee expires.
- ToolGuy 'Non-Land Rover' gets 2 bonus points for the correct use of carbon fiber in an automotive application. 🙂
- ToolGuy "a newly developed vehicle platform it says will double driving range"• Anyone know what this is about?
- ToolGuy "Toyota recommends that no one ride in the front passenger seat until an inspection or fix can be performed."• This is a good opportunity for the back seat driver in your life. 😉
- Art Vandelay It will allow Tasos and EBFlex to puff each other’s peters in comfort
Jack, I think it's a 1993 Cobra R. Only 107 were produced, all in Vibrant Red clear coat, with 5-lug wheels, no radio or A/C, 235HP and 125lbs lighter that regular Cobra GT.
Excellent, Jack; excellent!