Japan in June 2011: Fall In Summer
New car sales in Japan dropped in June, but the drop was not as steep as it was in May.
Domestic sales of new cars and trucks, excluding minivehicles, fell 23.3percent on the year to 225,024 vehicles the Japan Automobile Dealers Association said today.
While still a steep decline, it was an improvement from the 37.8percent free fall recorded in May, when sales were seriously hurt by the aftereffects of the Great East Japan Earthquake.Regular Vehicles June 2011MakerJune ’11June ’10ChangeDaihatsu248495-49.9%Hino1,7122,599-34.1%Honda30,04044,377-32.3%Isuzu2,7514,216-34.7%Lexus3,7922,15176.3%Mazda10,34115,418-32.9%Mitsubishi5,2645,907-10.9%Mitsubishi Fuso17972,245-20.0%Nissan45,11343,3134.2%Subaru6,3945,9397.7%Suzuki6,7884,89638.6%Toyota87,671140,207-37.5%UD Trucks582968-39.9%Other22,53120,7638.5%Total225,024293,494-23.3%
The separately accounted for sales of minivehicles retreated 18.3percent on the year to 126,804 vehicles in June, the Japan Mini Vehicles Association said Friday. This is also better than the 25.4 percent drop in May.Minivehicles June 2011MakerJune ’11June ’10ChangeSuzuki41,51549,017-15.3%Daihatsu47,39354,929-13.7%Mitsubishi8,8569,771-9.4%Subaru6,5298,684-24.8%Honda 8,74715,920-45.1%Mazda3,1994,434-27.9%Nissan10,56212,515-15.6%Other39-66.7%Total126,804155,279-18.3%
With both vehicle groups consolidated, we see a drop of 21.6 percent.All vehicles June 2011MakerJune ’11June ’10ChangeDaihatsu47,64155,424-14.0%Hino1,7122,599-34.1%Honda38,78760,297-35.7%Isuzu2,7514,216-34.7%Lexus3,7922,15176.3%Mazda13,54019,852-31.8%Mitsubishi14,12015,678-9.9%Mitsubishi Fuso1,7972,245-20.0%Nissan55,67555,828-0.3%Subaru12,92314,623-11.6%Suzuki48,30353,913-10.4%Toyota87,671140,207-37.5%UD Trucks582968-39.9%Other22,53420,7728.5%Total351,828448,773-21.6%
Sales of imported vehicles profited from the shortage of cars. Imports rose 44 percent year on year to 30,686 in June.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX That beautiful emerald paint is a $2200 option, so I think you can push this car over $50k.
- Dartdude Biden's administration is full of unqualified people. This is what happens when you don't hire on merit. Pothole Pete is living proof of it.
- Dukeisduke Oh brother, these high-end BEVs are getting ridiculous. Faraday Distant Future, or Faraday Never? I'm betting on the latter.
- Kwik_Shift After finally seeing a Dodge Hornet in person, I was so underwhelmed that I didn't even want to test drive it.
- Dukeisduke The new Range Rover Sport SV takes the concept and cranks its wick to 626 horsepower, meaning that when it's not in the shop, this Rangey is capable of hitting 60 mph from rest in just 3.6 seconds.FTFY
Join the conversation