Porsche 991 And BMW M6 Spotted Testing At The Nrburgring
Coming home from work, I tend to get used to seeing various prototypes driving around, and cutting me off, after all, I’m only in a little white Peugeot 205 GTI, barely worth mentioning when it comes to the sheer amount of exclusive metal running around the Nurburgring. However, today, I spied some prototypes that you never see during the day running freely around city streets, namely, the testers from BMW and Porsche. Reclusive beasts they are, Dale Lomas from Bridge-to-Gantry, and my friend was able to nab several shots of the latest salvos from southern Germany while I only managed one hazy shot from an iPhone while trying not to pilot my little Pug into a lightpole.
The Porsche you see looks like the new 991. Look closely at that vent from a 911 Turbo, its not real. Look closer still, and you will see its a double spoofer, as in there really is a small inlet behind the fake one, however, from the sound in the video, the car sounds very naturally aspirated. Looking at the regular 5-lug wheels instead of center-lock hubs, we deduced this particular example will become the Carrera S, with either a 3.8, or possibly a 4.0L flat six. A unique feature not seen before lies around the business end of the Porsche. The “smart” wing looks to be 50% or so bigger than the previous one, with a real airfoil shape, and we noticed it was moving to adjust the airflow when the speed changed. Wicked.
BMW M6 video at Bridge To Gantry here.
The BMW M6 sounds like a meaty V8, but due to a lot of tire squeal, turbo noises were hard to hear, but based on BMW’s direction for the future, you might want to bet on a pair of turbines underneath the hood. The silver example here disguises quad exhausts, and a deeper airdam, however, we doubt the M-ness of this particular model. Following the debut of the 335is, the M3-lite, this 6-series looks to be a 650is, sportier than the norm, but not M-worthy. Click the link to the Bridge-to-Gantry video, and look for the black camoflaged 6-series. Notice the much lighter wheels, the more pronounced body work, and well, black paint. We think that this tester is the new M6… that, and it was noticeably quicker than the silver example. However, all of the prototypes from BMW looked planted, flat, and quick, yet knowing the ever increasing weight of cars from Munich, full testing from TTAC must be conducted in order to see how well these coupes disguise their nearly 2-ton weights.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Inside Looking Out I see it as gladiator races - only one survives in virtual world.
- Crown They need to put the EcoDiesel back in the Grand Cherokee. I have a 2018 and it has been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. 69,000 miles and only needed tires, and regular oil and fuel filter changes.
- El scotto Y'all are overthinking this. Find some young hard-charging DA seeking the TV limelight to lock this kid up. Heck, have John Boehner come up from Cincy to help the young DA get his political career going. Better yet, have the young DA spin this as hard as he or she can; I'm the candidate for Law and Order, I defied our go-easy office and leadership to get this identified criminal locked up. Oh this could be spun more than a hyper active kid's top.Now I'd do some consulting work for Little Kings Original Cream Ale and Skyline Chili.
- El scotto Pondering if he has a clean brandy snifter. Well but, ah, I mean the original Grand Wagoneer was fully loaded and had a V-8. The original Grand Wagoneer had an almost cult-like following with a certain type of woman. Attractive, educated high earning women; or those that put on the appearances of being that way.Our esteemed HerR DOKtor Perfessor again shows how ignorant he is of the American market. What he deems "bread-vans on stilts" are highly coveted by significant others that are also highly coveted. The new Grand Cherokee with the new well engineered V-6 will sell as well as the ones from the 80s some of us get wistful over. The only real question will be: LL Bean or Orvis edition?
- El scotto Well, I've had cats that are smarted than a great many members of congress. I rather doubt that any of the congresspeople Matt named are engineers, finance people or project managers. Ya know, professionals you call in to get a job done.Today is Wednesday, this will be out of the 36 hour news cycle by Friday. Oh it might get mentioned again on OCT 6. Unless there are cute animals to put on TV that day.