Is Ford Building A Billion Dollar Plant In India?
Typically when a major automotive manufacturer is preparing to spend a billion bucks on a new manufacturing facility we’ll see multiple reports on the investment. That’s why it’s strange to see only a single report, from rediff.com, on a new manufacturing plant in Punjab province that will reportedly be built by a US automotive firm. According to the report
A United States-based automobile company may set up a car manufacturing facility in Punjab with an expected investment of $1 billion, as audit and consultation firm Deloitte has made enquiries on behalf of the firm with the state government.
“There is some American company which has made enquiries and has shown interest (for setting up a manufacturing facility) here,” Punjab Industry Minister Manoranjan Kalia said on Friday.
Asked about the name of the automobile company that has evinced interest, Kalia said that the company’s name has not been disclosed.
However when contacted, a senior official of Punjab State Industries Department revealed that Deloitte has approached Punjab government on behalf of US-based automobile company to look at the possibility of setting up a car facility.
State industry secretary S S Channy said Deloitte has indicated an investment of $1 billion for putting up a car facility and the company requires 750 acres of land for manufacturing facility and 150 acres for ancillary units.
The automaker in question probably isn’t Chrysler, as Fiat is leading that firm’s international efforts. It probably isn’t GM either, as The General has subordinated its Indian campaign to its Chinese partner SAIC. That leaves Ford, which has recently targeted India with its Figo small car, as the most likely builder of this plant. But does Ford work with Deloitte? Are there any other hints as to who this American investor is? Over to you, Best Brightest…
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Redapple2 Why does anyone have to get permission to join? Shouldnt the rules to race in a league be straight forward like. Build the car to the specs. Pay the race entry fee. Set the starting grid base on time trials.?Why all the BS?I cant watch F1 any more. No refuel. Must use 2 different types of tires. Rare passing. Same team wins every week. DRS only is you are this close and on and on with more BS. Add in the skysports announcer that sounds he is yelling for the whole 90 minutes at super fast speed. I m done. IMSA only for me.
- Redapple2 Barra at evil GM is not worth 20 mill/ yr but dozens (hundreds) of sports players are. Got it. OK.
- Dusterdude @SCE to AUX , agree CEO pay would equate to a nominal amount if split amongst all UAW members . My point was optics are bad , both total compensation and % increases . IE for example if Mary Barra was paid $10 million including merit bonuses , is that really underpaid ?
- ToolGuy "At risk of oversimplification, a heat pump takes ambient air, compresses it, and then uses the condenser’s heat to warm up the air it just grabbed from outside."• This description seems fairly dramatically wrong to me.
- SCE to AUX The UAW may win the battle, but it will lose the war.The mfrs will never agree to job protections, and production outsourcing will match any pay increases won by the union.With most US market cars not produced by Detroit, how many people really care about this strike?