Do You Want An Aston Sportsman? You'll Need More Than $433K
What’s that, chum? You’re finding your Lynx Eventer to be a little, shall we say, common? Your friend the Sultan of Brunei has six Ferrari 456GT Sportwagons, courtesy of Pininfarina, and you require a competing conveyance that is both brutally subtle and subtly brutal? Well, then, you’ll need to find one of the two fellows who took delivery of an Aston Sportsman in 1996 and pry it out of his clutches.
If a recent auction result is any guide, however, you’d better have about seven hundred Krugerrands to make the deal…
Based on the 1996 V8 Coupe, which itself was a direct descendant of the 1969 Aston DBS, just two Sportsmen (Sportsmans?) were built. One of them reportedly has well over 100,000 miles on it and is in use as a near-daily driver. It’s unknown whether that was the example which went up for auction at Bonhams in September, but we do know that the estimated sale price was in excess of four hundred thousand English pounds. The highest bid turned out to be a little more modest; $432,650 was not sufficient to meet reserve.
Sports Car Market sniffed that they have doubts as to the Sportsman’s future collectibility. They may be right, but the fact is that, if you want an Aston shooting brake with eight cylinders, you have just two choices in the world. And even if it would take eight hundred grand to put it in your garage, wouldn’t it be nice to turn up your nose at the proles in their Veyrons?
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Theflyersfan They might not be convertible friendly, but if they work on getting the last of the winter crud off of the car during the first spring wash, it's worth its weight in gold. So many of the self-serve car washes seem to have some kind of mechanical problem with one of the nozzles, or out of some chemicals - want to do that at home.
- Bill Wade It's worked perfectly for me. Google maps is quite good and music streaming is flawless.
- TheEndlessEnigma How much is TTAC getting from the Amazon referral links? Once again, nice ads camouflaged as an article.
- Prabirmehta Great review! Brought back memories of my 2005 Z4 - loved it! I recently drove the 2023 Z4 and it felt similar in many ways to my 2005 (despite the much nicer and updated interior). Now your review has me rethinking whether to buy another one? :)
- Haruhi Where’s this exact location
I'm looking at the back glass. It can't have been made for that car. It had to come from another machine. I'm just wondering what . . . .
That's an... interesting vehicle. If you really want to attract attention, I think the original Fiat Multipla does a better job. http://www.cartype.com/pics/6919/full/fiat_600_multipla_2_55-60.jpg