You Can Have Your Ford Focus RS500 After All
A few days ago, we reported that a limited edition of 500 hopped-up Ford Focus RS was sold out within 12 hours of its announcement. Ford just had to utter “Ford Focus with 345BHP, a torque of 339lb/ft, 0-62mph in 5.6 seconds” and they were all spoken for. Judging from the stats coming off the TTAC server (the story was the most accessed that day,) interest in the hot hatch far outstrips the measly supply of 500. Help is on the way. You don’t even have to buy a new car.
Current and future owners of the standard-issued Ford Focus RS can bring their 305BHP car to the same numbers of the limited edition Ford Focus RS500. This will be facilitated by the MP350 upgrade package from Mountune Performance. According to a press release by Ford Cologne, this is “the only aftermarket package available which does not invalidate the standard Ford warranty.”
ologne announcement notwithstanding, the package is available via a network of Mountune-approved Ford dealers in the UK only.
“A European roll-out is planned to follow.” When, is anybody’s guess. No word on the U.S.A.
According to the announcement, “the engine modifications are similar to those developed for Ford of Europe’s exclusive new limited edition Focus RS500 model.” In other words: Same thing.
The kit will buy you “a bespoke intercooler,” a high-flow exhaust downpipe, a re-designed airbox, a set of high-flow injectors, and a reworked ECU to go with it. All street legal and under factory warranty. No mention of the price, but if you have to ask, you won’t be able to take it over to Germany and enjoy the 165mph top speed.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- EAM3 Learned to drive in my parents' 1981 Maxima. Lovely car that seemed to do everything right. I can still hear the "Please turn off the lights" voice in my head since everyone wanted a demo of the newfangled talking car. A friend of the family had a manual transmission one and that thing was fun!
- FreedMike That wagon is yummy.
- Syke Thanks, somehow I missed that.
- 285exp I am quite sure that it is a complete coincidence that they have announced a $7k price increase the same week that the current administration has passed legislation extending the $7k tax credit that was set to expire. Yep, not at all related.
- Syke Is it possible to switch the pure EV drive on and off? Given the wonderful throttle response of an EV, I could see the desirability of this for a serious off-roader. Run straight ICE to get to your off-roading site, switch over the EV drive during the off-road section, then back to ICE for the road trip back home.