Curbside Classic Outtake: Wal Mart Concours Edition
Stopping in at Wal Mart always raises the possibilities of some interesting people and car watching. There’s a web site dedicated to the remarkable sights of the peopleofwalmart.com. Prepare yourself! And buried in that treasure chest are some wild cars too. I’m sorry to say my brief venture into Wally Mart this morning doesn’t measure up to the best of theirs, but it’s worth sometimes to just stop for a second and smell the…old cars in the parking lot. Gallery follows:
MadHungarian on Jan 30, 2010
I get the feeling we were supposed to look at this and laugh at the poor redneck Walmart shoppers' beaters. Not me; I would be happy to have a bunch of those cars (does that make me a redneck?) In particular: -- when was the last time you saw a reasonably intact and unmodified CRX? -- all those cute genuinely small and genuinely light and genuinely simple econoboxes you can't get now (2d gen Civic, Tercel and Colt hatches). 40 MPG and no car payment, what's not to like? -- that Eldorado Biarritz is about 1990 vintage. The 4.9 liter engine is more reliable than the Northstar that followed it, and it performs plenty well in this light platform. Yes, it's a pimpmobile, but that's what makes it fun, and it's a pimpmobile that fits in any parking space. -- and yes, that Maverick. My first car was a '70 Mav coupe. I have to say that I never expected them to be collectible. However, people have discovered the little secret of Mavericks: just about any performance or handling mod you can do to a first-gen Mustang can also be done to a Maverick. So a little bit of work can turn that prosaic looking sedan into quite a sleeper.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Probert There's something wrong with that chart. The 9 month numbers for Tesla, in the chart, are closer to Tesla's Q3 numbers. They delivered 343,830 cars in q3 and YoY it is a 40% increase. They sold 363,830 but deliveries were slowed at the end of the quarter - no cars in inventory. For the past 9 months the total sold is 929,910 . So very good performance considering a major shutdown for about a month in China (Covid, factory revamp). Not sure if the chart is also inaccurate for other makers.
- ToolGuy "...overall length grew only fractionally, from 187.6” in 1994 to 198.7” in 1995."Something very wrong with that sentence. I believe you just overstated the length by 11 inches.
- ToolGuy There is no level of markup on the Jeep Wrangler which would not be justified or would make it any less desirable [perfectly inelastic demand, i.e., 'I want one']. Source: My 21-year-old daughter.
- ToolGuy Strong performance from Fiat.
- Inside Looking Out GM is like America, it does the right thing only after trying everything else. As General Motors goes, so goes America.