Curbside Classic Outtake: Datsun F10 Doppleganger Discovered? Renault R 17
January 8th, 2010 5:25 PM Share
I knew the F-10 coupe was reminding me of something else in my CC repository. And then it hit me: the Renault R 17! Unfortunately, this one’s front end wasn’t available, but here’s a nice one:
The R 15 and R17 coupes were based on the R12 sedan, and it’s hard to say exactly why Renault chose to offer two coupe variants, with different roofs. But Renault sometimes worked in mysterious ways. Here’s an R 15:
And here’s the whole family, with an enthusiastic Renault owner:
Finally, my shot of the Eugene car’s interesting dash:
Published January 8th, 2010 5:25 PM
Join the conversation
2 of 17 comments
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Inside Looking Out This is actually the answer to the question I asked not that long ago.
- Inside Looking Out Regarding "narrow windows" - the trend is that windows will eventually be replaced by big OLED screens displaying some exotic place or may even other planet.
- Robert I have had 4th gen 1996 model for many years and enjoy driving as much now as when I first purchased it - has 190 hp variant with just the right amount of power for most all driving situations!
- ToolGuy Meanwhile in Germany...
- Donald More stuff to break god I love having a nanny in my truck... find a good tuner and you can remove most of the stupid stuff they add like this and auto park when the doors open stupid stuff like that
The Renault does it right. The Datsun does it ugly.
They're both interesting cars visually. While I knew people who owned Renaults in the 70s and always wound up hating them, the 17 I rarely saw when new but liked the style.I had a lot of experience driving a friend's F10 , bought new. At the time I was appalled that he bought it as it was universally panned in the car magazines as being cramped and ugly , unlike the 17 which while unique I wouldn't call it ugly. And it looks a lot more spacious. I recall that in the F10 I had like 2 inches of headroom and I'm only 5'5".But I agree, both have a ton of quirky personality, sorely missing on almost all cars today.