While America Slept. Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Honda submerges emerging market plans: Honda froze a project to raise capacity in Turkey and postponed the launch of its second Indian plant by at least a year, says The Nikkei (sub.) With raised eyebrows, the Nikkei notes that the “cutbacks are now spreading to emerging markets, which are seen as key battlefields for growth.”
European CO2 compromise: The EU member states agreed on a big CO2 compromise for cars, Das Autohaus reports. There will be limits. But not so fast and not so strict. Like in 2012, only 65 percent of new cars should produce less than 120g/100km of the climate-killer. In 2014 it will be 80 percent. 100 percent in 2015. This is a big walk-back from original plans, and the greens are up in arms. The ruling still needs a formal approval.
Volvo officially for sale: According to Das Autohaus, “Ford considers selling Volvo. Ford confirmed speculations.” Ford has already begun making “Volvo more independent.” Make that: Prettied up for a fast sale.
China won’t quite make 10 million: According to Gasgoo, Chinese auto makers will sell 9.6m units this year. Their target was to hit the 10 million mark in 2008 – missed it! All things (and specially other parts of the world) considered, 9.6m units is still a nice growth from 8.4m the year before.
FAW Mazda adds capacity: Confirming their conviction that growth will go on, FAW Mazda builds a new plant in China. Says so in Gasgoo. The plant is expected to be completed by the end of 2010 and will boost the carmaker’s production capacity to 120,000 units.
This is no joke: For all of this week, WAS will either be late, or non-existent. I’m in Germany on business and will post as time allows.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- SCE to AUX I charge at home 99% of the time, on a Level 2 charger I installed myself in 2012 for my Leaf. My house is 1967, 150-Amp service, gas dryer and furnace; everything else is electric with no problems. I switched from gas HW to electric HW last year, when my 18-year-old tank finally failed.I charge at a for-pay station maybe a couple times a year.I don't travel more than an hour each way in my Ioniq 1 EV, so I don't deal much with public chargers. Despite a big electric rate increase this year, my car remains ridiculously cheap to operate.
- ToolGuy 38:25 to 45:40 -- Let's all wait around for the stupid ugly helicopter. 😉The wheels and tires are cool, as in a) carbon fiber is a structural element not decoration and b) they have some sidewall.Also like the automatic fuel adjustment (gasoline vs. ethanol).(Anyone know why it's more powerful on E85? Huh? Huh?)
- Ja-GTI So, seems like you have to own a house before you can own a BEV.
- Kwik_Shift Good thing for fossil fuels to keep the EVs going.
- Carlson Fan Meh, never cared for this car because I was never a big fan of the Gen 1 Camaro. The Gen 1 Firebird looked better inside and out and you could get it with the 400.The Gen 2 for my eyes was peak Camaro as far as styling w/those sexy split bumpers! They should have modeled the 6th Gen after that.
Thank you, ZCline. As for the perspective, these are the views of a German who lived and worked in the USA for 25 years, who moved to China in 2004, and who's married to a Japanese. The last move was the best.
Even more unique than I thought!