Toyota May Take No. 1 U.S. Sales Slot From GM
Toyota outsold GM globally last year. Of course, GM took the low road and claimed they were still number one by dint of their minority partnerships with Chinese automakers. This year, ToMoCo will lift the crown as the world’s largest automaker– joint ventures or no. Anyway, here in the real world, that gig’s been up for a while. More than a year ago, GM CEO Rick Wagoner declared that Toyota’s title-taking didn’t matter. OK, it did, a bit. But it really didn’t; ’cause we don’t have time to worry about that shit [paraphrasing]. After all, we’ll be profitable by…. uh… hey! Is that an SSR? Well, Red Ink Rick’s going to get another chance to play spin the news. CNBC’s Phil LeBeau reports that Toyota’s three U.S. brands could outsell GM’s eight brands in October. “This week is not only the last one of the month. It’s also the week that could determine if GM holds on to the top spot in monthly auto sales in the U.S. Initial reports of October retail auto sales show Toyota outpacing GM and Ford. If that trend holds for the full month, we could be looking at the day many in Detroit have feared for years.” Even if GM doesn’t, Phil worries about the psychological impact of the smack-down.
“But even if Toyota out sells GM for October, what does it mean? Yes, there are bragging rights, but beyond that is there a residual carry-over to Toyota being #1 in sales for one month? Yes and No.
“Yes, in that Toyota’s ascent to #1 would confirm the momentum the automaker has been building for years. And the auto business is very much about momentum. When a company is picking up business, the public notices and even the most stubborn people admit, “maybe I should at least look at those cars and trucks.”
In closing, Phil says hey, cut me slack. It’s one month for Christ’s sake [paraphrasing]. To which the only possible reply is, “Hey. You brought it up.” [Look for a GM Death Watch on this subject tomorrow. Meanwhile, I’ll write it.]
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Syke Thanks, somehow I missed that.
- 285exp I am quite sure that it is a complete coincidence that they have announced a $7k price increase the same week that the current administration has passed legislation extending the $7k tax credit that was set to expire. Yep, not at all related.
- Syke Is it possible to switch the pure EV drive on and off? Given the wonderful throttle response of an EV, I could see the desirability of this for a serious off-roader. Run straight ICE to get to your off-roading site, switch over the EV drive during the off-road section, then back to ICE for the road trip back home.
- ToolGuy Historical Perspective Moment:• First-gen Bronco debuted in MY1966• OJ Simpson Bronco chase was in 1994• 1966 to 1994 = 28 years• 1994 to now = 28 yearsFeel old yet?
- Ronnie Schreiber From where is all that electricity needed to power an EV transportation system going to come? Ironically, the only EV evangelist that I know of who even mentions the fragile nature of our electrical grid is Elon Musk. None of the politicians pushing EVs go anywhere near it, well, unless they are advocating for unreliable renewables like wind and solar.