Patrick writes:Sajeev,Thanks for the column and the sage advice, but mostly for the generosity as lemons perp. (FYI Piston Slap queries don’t count as bribes – SM)Recently purchased a Focus ST, and though I have rebuilt/broken in conventional engines in the past, new car recommendations of oil changes at 5,000 miles plus and no mention of an engine break-in procedure leave me nervous. Especially with the new breed of HO turbo motors. I know better than to push the motor for the initial 500 – 1,000 miles. Reading forums and interwebs, a number recommend an initial oil change at 1,000 to clear out the initial break in filings, then adhere to a 5k oil change schedule with synthetic fluids.What say you? Running the initial fluids to 10k sounds like an introduction to premature wear to me.Read more
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Mike Beranek In my state, it's completely illegal to hold a phone in your hand while driving. I'm not sure why other states have not passed similar laws.That being said, I don't check notifications while driving. The one exception is if it rings, which is pretty rare. In that case I will glance at it to see if it was one of my family members, who would only resort to a phone call if there was an emergency (otherwise text).
- Cprescott Never answer a phone call that comes in while in the car; if I must make a call, the vehicle is stationary and off the road.
- Statikboy Are we expecting a continuation of the LX platform series any time soon? I don't remember it reaching the Magnum.
- Analoggrotto The facelifted front end with the narrow headlamps was a major improvement. Always liked these.
- Master Baiter Solid state batteries have been "five years away" for 30 years.