Daewoo wasn’t a well-known name in North America in the late 1990s, though quite a few Daewoo-built Pontiac Lemans cars were sold here during the 1988-1993 period. For the 1999 model year, a trio of Daewoo-badged cars appeared on these shores: the Lanos, the Nubira, and the Leganza.
The Leganza was the most luxurious of the Daewoo triumvirate (the bloodline of the Lanos lived on here after Daewoo departed the continent in 2002, as the Chevrolet Aveo and then the Sonic), and I photographed this crashed ’00 in a California self-service wrecking yard.
After my idea for a DUI Telepresence Crown Victoria Racing series failed to attract the shadowy Eastern European investors I’d hoped to line up, I got to thinking about spec racing. Everybody in a spec racing series runs the same kind of car, which makes parts easy to get and (in theory, though sure as hell not in practice) puts the focus on driver skill rather than vehicle price. There’s Spec Miata and Spec E30 and Spec Neon and all the rest, but it’s sort of boring watching those races. Spec racing needs better cars, and we’re going to pick the best one right now!
Dad! Would you come and check out a car I might want to buy?
Sure Will; what is it?
A Deawoo Leganza.
Oh, Um, Ah, Hm; you’re sure that you might want to buy that?
Yeah; it’s got leather, sunroof, and a great sound system.
What’s wrong with it?
The electric window switches are wackky. I don’t care.
Are you sure that’s all?
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Kwik_Shift Just look at all the tank and APC scrap metal being produced daily in Ukraine.
- Wolfwagen On the surface not bad, I wouldn't bid on it unless I got to look at it and see the work done. if the wiring checks out, getting the vehicle up and running would be relatively cheap. Like Arthur said ease of parts and lack of complexity could make this a runner for not much money. Get the drive shaft and exterior lighting in and its a daytime runner especially if it finds a new home with a garage in CA, FL or some of the southern states. Add the top, glass and secure shifter plate over the trans and it's 49 state runner and you can handle the interior a little at a time.
- SCE to AUX Not a bad price, but it's a lot of work. At least the ad seems honest about the car.No driveshaft means that someone has to make one due to all the vehicle alterations.
- SPPPP Hmm. Reconnaisance would seem to be well covered by aerial drones. So what's the role then? Actual combat? Would the DOD / CIA deploy robotic "tacticals" to do remote killing?
- SCE to AUX The enemy can sleep soundly.