Cary's Garage: Citroen Hydraulic Blues
Here is kind of an odd one for you. I have a ‘71 Citroen D series car and it seems there is an issue finding the Hydraulic Mineral fluid for the system. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me?
What a cool car, probably one of my favorites ever made, and yes, I do have some ideas for you. I have heard from some of my acquaintances that the supply of LHM “Liquid Hydraulic Minerale” has become rather difficult and expensive to source. I know you can get it from Europe, but you will have to pay dearly to ship it to the states. From what I have heard from other sources you can use MIL-H-5606 in a Citroen system. If you were to go that route, I would recommend doing a full system flush, so the MIL fluid is the primary fluid in the system and not mixed. The other option that people have done throughout time is draining and flushing the system and just using automatic transmission fluid. I have known people over the years that have done that but honestly, I have mixed feelings about doing that and don’t really know how much I personally trust it. The MIL fluid is like the LHM with a slightly different viscosity rating. With stuff as important as your hydraulic system in your car I would try my hardest to just find and use the LHM but if that doesn’t work out there are at least options.
This is just my two cents and I would highly recommend doing some reading and educating yourself a little bit about the different fluids before you go full-on making a switch.
Best of luck!
Please email any questions to Carysgarage@gmail.com. I don’t normally check the comments so please don’t just leave a question in the comments – please email instead.
[Image: Memory Stockphoto/Shutterstock.com]
Become a TTAC insider. Get the latest news, features, TTAC takes, and everything else that gets to the truth about cars first by subscribing to our newsletter.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Inside Looking Out All that is BS. Nissan just tries to buy time. By 2028 every Tesla will have fusion reactor under the hood. Commercial fusion reactor is under development as we speak 5 miles away from my home in Sandia labs in Livermore.
- Lou_BC For some odd reason my new truck is more of a pain when it comes to incoming texts. I need data activated on phone and have it plugged into truck with Android Auto on. It doesn't work well with poor internet wireless access.The old Ford Sync system of 2010 vintage would play the text via a robotic voice and not allow a reply unless stopped. It was much more seamless and easier to work.
- 28-Cars-Later Isn't that the Cayenne?
- Kendahl I will look at my phone long enough to determine whether the caller is someone I really should talk to. If it is, I keep driving until I find a safe place to pull over before answering. If it isn't, to hell with them.I am greatly annoyed by people who sit at green traffic lights or drive well below the speed limit because they are focused on their phones instead of their driving. However, I don't express my frustration because (1) they don't think they're being inconsiderate and (2) may retaliate with road rage.
- VoGhost What to name a car for people insecure about the size of their 'manhood'? Magnum. What do name a car for people insecure about their orientation? STR8. Nobody -- and I mean nobody -- knows their customer base like FCA/Stellantis.