Chevy Teases Next Colorado, Promotes Off-Road Chops
We’ve known for some time that the Bowtie Brigade has been busying themselves with a refresh of their midsize Colorado pickup. With a new Ranger on the way and Nissan’s new (final?) Frontier already here, you can bet Chevy won’t be caught napping in this profitable segment.
To date, we’ve been left guessing as to what styling changes GM has in store for the Colorado in ’23. A teaser video published to YouTube just last week – and the magic of well-timed screenshots – gives us our first clues for what to expect.
Up front, its headlamps are notably thinner, taking some cues from the big bro Silverado and extending themselves into the grille. That area seems very square, bifurcated as usual with a styling bar that holds the bowtie badge. This trim is equipped with what GM calls a ‘safari bar’, undoubtedly part of an optional package for either the ZR2 or Bison off-road trims. One can probably append it as an accessory to their two-wheel-drive LS as well if you feel like annoying onlookers at the trailhead.
Hilariously, a caption at the bottom of the screen – courtesy of GM’s legal department, natch – says the Safari Bar may block the front camera and scupper the surround-view camera system. I guess the bed-wetting lawyers felt the need to inject their unique brand of dourness on us in some form. We will note these types of cams are welcome additions off-road, permitting the driver to peer ahead and (mis)judge obstacles with accuracy. They’re useful in parking lots as well, which is probably where the majority of these trucks will spend most of their time. The rear of the truck shows taillights which crib much from the Silverado in terms of their shape.
It is unclear which engines will remain available in the 2023 Colorado and its Canyon sibling. Those models are one of the few not yet listed on next year’s fleet order forms, suggesting either significant changes being kept under wraps or a sysop who is asleep at their keyboard. At present, one can select a 200-horsepower four-banger or a V6 with 308 ponies. There is also a diesel option making just 181 hp but cranking out 369 lb.-ft of torque. All are connected to an automatic transmission after GM quietly dropped the manual box a couple of model years ago.
The 2023 Chevrolet Colorado is set to debut exactly one month from now on July 28th.
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Theflyersfan I was living in one part of the world when China and Russia were completing their 21st century scramble of Africa. They were pumping billions into the economies of these countries building new dams, bridges, skyscrapers, freeways/toll roads, utilities, power plants, you know - projects that would benefit the average resident of said location. All they wanted in exchange were the mineral, mining, fishing, timber, etc., rights of said location. And they got them. So during that era when they were looking at global expansion, we were fighting unwinnable wars and our "leaders" on the left were yelling at the "leaders" on the right and vice versa, and what happens when all you do is stare and focus on one thing like DC is known to do? The world moves on around you. And that's what happened here.We had the same opportunity to build Africa up and to make the same deals as other countries, but our "nation building" tends to take place via the conversion from something solid and standing to something in pieces and in rubble. So it looks like we'll continue to have to deal with hostile nations holding our feet into the fire and working through their many geopolitical issues just so we can continue to get cheap electronics and necessary materials in our manufacturing just because we decided around 40+ years ago to ship it all overseas because we wanted to save 50 cents on a pack of socks and the CEOs needed their next quarterly statement to look even better to the shareholders so they could increase their pay and bonuses, consequences be damned.
- DweezilSFV I didn't think GM could make a worse looking truck than their full-sizers.Success.
- DweezilSFV GM. Still trying to make OnStar happen.And still the answer to a question no one ever asked.
- Corey Lewis Look, here's the voice warning record player!http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/datsun_810_maxima_voice_box.jpg
- Buickman as Donnie Brosco said... Forget about it.