Junkyard Find: 1979 Dodge B200 Landmark Van Conversion
Are you a member of the Brown Car Appreciation Society? A fan of the Malaise Era and maybe bad music of the late 1970s? If so, then today’s Junkyard Find is for you! I spotted this brown-on-brown-on-brown van conversion at my local self-serve wrecking yard a full year ago, and I’ve been waiting for just the right time to share it with you!
This is a second-generation Tradesman, turned into a luxury crypto-RV by the (apparently) defunct Landmark Vans company, which must have been based somewhere in the Midwest.
It’s pretty well beat-up by now, but you can still catch the sense of luxury that must have prevailed in this interior, when Ace Frehley’s greatest hit was coming from the 8-track.
Can you get browner than this? Nope.
There’s some rust, sure, but nothing serious (at first glance).
These conversion vans weren’t aimed at the demographic that built matching bongs for their chopped-and-pinstriped Econolines and A100s; most of these vehicles were purchased by big families for road trips.
Join the conversation
Latest Car ReviewsRead more
Latest Product ReviewsRead more
- Chris P Bacon Ford and GM have decided that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Odds are Chrysler/Cerberus/FCA/Stellantis is next to join in. If any of the companies like Electrify America had been even close to Tesla in reliability, we wouldn't be here.
- Inside Looking Out China will decide which EV charging protocol will become world wide standard.
- Chris P Bacon I see no reference to Sweden or South Carolina. I hate to assume, but is this thing built in China? I can't help but wonder if EVs would be more affordable to the masses if they weren't all stuffed full of horsepower most drivers will never use. How much could the price be reduced if it had, say, 200hp. Combined with the instant torque of an EV, that really is plenty of power for the daily commuter, which is what this vehicle really is.
- Ajla It's weird how Polestar apparently has better BEVs than Volvo. And this is the same price as a Pilot and Plus optioned Polestar 2 AWD.
- Theflyersfan Another example of if you want a good looking truck, go smaller than the full-size. I'd like to see one of these in person. I wouldn't consider myself a FCA fan, but I think Ram has the best looking trucks of them all. And flags in the taillights? Corny, yeah. But why not? Jeep has little Easter eggs all over the place.
Hey! That's my old van! The one I lived in... ...down by the river! What the world needs now is a conversion Dajiban!
Growing up I saw a lot of conversion vans, my best friend's family had one as did all of his extended family. I thought I'd seen it all until I helped load groceries into a conversion Suburban. Seeing all that tucked velvet and a dozen oak cupholders in a Suburban changed my world.